Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

JROTC Blood Drive Encourages Student Participation

The upcoming JROTC blood drive is a great opportunity to help others
Junior Master Sergeant Erica Lepine works on the final details of the blood drive.

Air Academy High School’s (AAHS) incredible Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (JROTC) will be taking their community service to a new level this week by hosting a blood drive on February 2nd, from 9 am to 2 pm in the main gym entrance.

The Air Academy JROTC aims to combat the national blood donation shortage with this drive. The American Red Cross asserts that the US is experiencing the lowest amount of blood donation in the last 20 years now.

This event is open to family members and students aged 16 and up, although a permission slip is required to students under 18. Permission forms are to be turned in in Room 117 any time before the event.

“A lot of our high schoolers had no other way to [donate blood], but bringing it to the school allows us a chance to,” junior Master Sergeant Erica Lepine explained.

Senior Lieutenant Colonel Isabella Colodny was one of the leading developers of this project, and explained that the much needed blood will be donated to Colorado Springs hospitals through a company called Vitalant.

“I think it’s outstanding, our leadership did a very good job setting it up,” Rivenburg exclaimed.

Although donating blood might sound scary, it is an essential practice across America that helps save lives. Donated blood can be used in emergency surgeries, transfusions, and many more dire medical instances nearby AAHS.

“I know a large amount of people I talked to have O negative, so we’re just giving that gift as well as we can,” Lepine said.

The United States Department of Health and Human Services explains that a single blood donation can save up to three individual’s lives, making donating blood an easy and accessible way to help others.

“A person needs lifesaving blood every two seconds in our country,” Red Cross’ Doctor Pampee Young stated, “however, blood is only available thanks to the generosity of those who roll up a sleeve to donate.”

For those that need emergency blood transfusions or access to donated blood for certain treatments, someone’s choice to donate blood could be essential to their survival.

“You get the relief of knowing you’re going to help others,” junior Staff Sergeant Aslan Rivenburg stated.

Although this lifesaving practice is a great way to make a difference, this event appeals to the JROTC by providing community service hours for its members.

Colodny explained that service hours are a part of their grades in the JROTC course. “It reflects excellence and service within our community,” she stated.

The JROTC encourages everyone to sign up for one of the 32 slots and make a difference by donating their blood.

“You get to help the community, you get to help a lot of people in need,” Colodny said, “And it really doesn’t take a lot out of your day.”

If unavailable to donate blood on Friday, February 2nd in the main gym, there are many other opportunities to donate blood and save lives. Accessing the Red Cross website or a Red Cross facility, as well as local donation centers are all available options to donate. Air Academy expects a great turnout for the blood drive event!