Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Senior Editor Signing Off!

The last chapter of managing editor Madison Chidester signing off
Final+managing+edit+of+the+year+in+journalism+with+senior+Maddie+Chidester+%28upper+left%29+leading+senior+Mason+Riddle+%28lower+left%29+on+what+to+fix+for+his+article.+
Final managing edit of the year in journalism with senior Maddie Chidester (upper left) leading senior Mason Riddle (lower left) on what to fix for his article.

From the beginning of August 2022 all the way to May 2024, I have enjoyed writing in journalism at Air Academy High School. While I am sad to say goodbye to the class, I have learned tremendous things that I never thought I would learn. Journalism is an opportunity to grow as a person, a writer, and become an outgoing person. 

“I remember when I joined journalism for the first time I did not know what to expect, but once I got the hang of the class I became a much better writer from it,” junior Sofia Browne stated. 

My time here in journalism has taught me to be more outspoken. Especially from transitioning to a reporter my sophomore year, a copy editor my junior year, and a managing editor my senior year. Journalism has shown me more things about myself than any other class here at Air Academy has done. 

“I was definitely nervous at first to take the class when I joined, but Maddie made my time here so much easier and she was the nicest and most welcoming to me in the class,” junior Amiah Willson stated. 

As any newcomer can expect it can be hard to join a new class for the first time and still not know what to expect. However, the relationships I have built with my fellow reporters has made me proud to be their managing editor now. 

“Maddie has done a great job taking care of the class ever since her junior year. She definitely is a leader by heart,” senior Kendrick Latrielle stated. 

Growing into the role of managing editor has been a long time coming, but past mentors have helped me exceedingly. Former editors such as Mia Holland, Savannah Mather, and Declan Wittcamp have molded me into the writer I am today. 

I owe much of my success though to my fellow classmates who have helped me learn discipline, patience, and various types of leadership styles. 

“I definitely developed from this class as a person and learned a lot about myself than I thought I would,” senior Ethan Duff stated. 

While my departure from the class is devastating, Air Academy will also be having a switch in how journalism will be run from now on. Mr. McCartney here at Air Academy will take over the class due to his prior career as a journalist. 

Many students are excited about this change, but they are also sad to leave the current teacher, Mrs. Lightfoot, who has taught the class for three years now. Because of her influence, many students currently in journalism or who have been in journalism in the past are considering continuing in the class or rejoining after a few years away. 

“I wish I could have taken journalism when I had the chance to here at Air Academy. It always seemed like a cool class to take, but I never could fit it in my schedule,” senior Jaime Prytle said. 

As I hand the torch off to future teacher Mr. McCartney and other veteran students such as juniors Versais Marken and Savannah Mather, I will rest assured that they will make journalism even better than it already is. Journalism has the opportunity to help any student out there find their voice and become more independent as we go off into the world. 

I am beyond excited to see what happens next year for journalism and to read all of the new stories written, but for now, this is Madison Chidester, the 2023-2024 Jetstream Journal managing editor, officially signing off!