Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Grades Improving with Academic Prowess

How do students at Air Academy manage grades and complete assignments while participating in extracurricular activities?
Sophomore+Wyatt+Sullivan+at+Air+Academy+shows+up+to+school+early+to+demonstrate+academic+success.+
Spencer Carter
Sophomore Wyatt Sullivan at Air Academy shows up to school early to demonstrate academic success.

At Air Academy, managing passing grades can be a hassle for students who are in extracurricular activities or struggle dealing with their homework outside of school. Many people don’t have the time to complete assignments, or they have trouble managing their time. 

Many students encounter struggles when many assignments build up and there isn’t enough time to complete them before the due date. It may be caused by an overload of activities outside of school including sports, school events, and any extracurricular activities. All of this stress adds up and results in a student overfilling their schedule, ending in overdue assignments leading to failing grades. Or students can’t plan time ahead to focus on work to complete it outside of school.

“One thing I struggle with is time management outside of school,” junior Samantha (Sam) Anderson commented. 

This is exactly what most students struggle with while managing grades and assignments. Anderson, a productive student, takes part in many different school activities and out of school activities. While playing soccer for Air Academy’s soccer team, playing the guitar part time, and working through her weekends, Anderson seeks help on managing her time to complete assignments for school. 

“Sitting down and just focusing on work is a struggle for me sometimes,” junior Anneke Boonzaaijer exclaimed. 

Another problem faced with work and grade management is a student’s schedule that has nothing to do with school. While she limits her school activities to a minimum, she spends time working for herself, leaving little time to spend on homework after school. Besides being able to do homework, Boonzaaijer needs time to just sit down and focus on one assignment. That can be hard for a teenage kid working almost every day while being enrolled in school. To help overcome this though, find a certain amount of time after school, during lunch, or any free time available to get assignments out of the way. 

“I think where I’m at is good, but I think all I need is more rest,” junior Will Graham, a club swimmer, exclaimed.

Graham found the balance between managing homework assignments and competing in a sport that takes up most of his life. Unlike most people, he manages to complete his homework despite affecting his normal life, keeping good grades. Even though not having a job can greatly affect time management, Graham can manage both if he wants to. Besides being in sports and working, some people can struggle with the work in general. 

“I tend to get distracted very easily and I end up never getting any work done,” Sam Anderson stated with confidence. 

Regardless of any extra activities inside or outside school, staying focused and on topic with work is something almost everybody struggles on at times. This is also a skill and problem that can be way more effective and important than any activity that might prevent students from having time to complete work.  To stay on track with focusing on work, listen to music to calm the mind, find a quiet place to go and work, or even ask a teacher as a guide. 

Besides the differences in how students struggle with managing grades, it all comes down to staying on a schedule for when to do assignments around activities. Staying focused on when certain assignments are needed to be completed is one of the most important skills to take on outside of school.