Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Holiday Decorations Light Up Holiday Spirit

During Christmas, one of the most important celebrations is decorating, which brings the mood to prepare for this holiday.
Mrs.+Coleman+helps+spread+Christmas+spirit+by+giving+out+candy+canes+and+decorating.+
Spencer Carter
Mrs. Coleman helps spread Christmas spirit by giving out candy canes and decorating.

Christmas is a universal holiday that many people can relate to through decorations and celebrations. Everyone participates in different Christmas celebrations depending on the person. One thing is for certain though. Christmas is a holiday that brings joy to people around the country, especially students coming out of finals.  

What makes Christmas decorating special is how many different traditions run through families and the variety of decorations that can be put up. Christmas decorations in the U.S come down to a few long-time traditions; garland, white Christmas lights, mistletoe, and a snowman. But, regardless, many people have certain traditions they hold close to their hearts. 

“I’m into going all out Snoopy during Christmas. If you look at my Christmas tree, it’s just completely covered in Snoopy decorations, mostly because it just puts me in a good mood and feels fun and festive,” Mrs. Coleman states. 

Coleman’s decorations simply demonstrate her unique way of celebrating Christmas, which, in this case, are decorating her Christmas tree in Snoopy decorations. This is only one of the festive traditions staff at Air Academy demonstrate to celebrate Christmas and spread Christmas spirit. 

“I put up a decoration of my daughter’s face on an ornament for Christmas, and another of my son, which is a plate with a picture of him with reindeer ears on his head,” Heather Molascon explains.

Another way to celebrate Christmas and surrounding yourself with family, which Molascon demonstrates by hanging up decorations of her children. Many families around the U.S. can also share this, being one of the most important family-oriented holidays. Christmas decorations and traditions can also be carried down from family, which spreads Christmas spirit throughout many generations. 

“Ever since I was a little kid, I spent the day before Christmas making cookies with my parents. I think when my parents were kids, they did something like that with their parents too,” sophomore Sam Anderson exclaims. 

Anderson demonstrates how Christmas spirit is spread through generations by bonding with family and making cookies on Christmas Eve Day. While the entirety of the U.S. that celebrates Christmas shows similarity in the decorations they put up (Christmas tree, garland, mistletoe, etc.), family activities and experiences differ with each and every family. 

“Most Christmas holidays, I go to Texas with my family and shop around at malls and just hang out with everyone. Sometimes they’ll come up to Colorado and we’ll celebrate here, though,” senior Kaia Reyes says. 

Another way some people celebrate Christmas is by traveling to family far away. Reyes, for example, travels to Texas or has her family fly up. Family finally coming back together for Christmas is a tradition that many families throughout the U.S. celebrate. Overall, family bonding is a universal Christmas experience that brings families together throughout the nation. 

Air Academy demonstrates how Christmas spirit is really spread by staff that decorate to motivate and lighten student’s moods. Student’s and staff’s Christmas habits, while decorating like many other people in the US, demonstrate Christmas spirit uniquely at Air Academy.