Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Air Academy Color Guard Keeps Winning Streak

The color guard has won the state competition two years in a row
Air Academy High School Color Guard team at their state competition, including students Katie Roren and Samantha Hopmayer

The Air Academy High School (AAHS) competitive color guard team just celebrated their tremendous win at the state championship on April 5th! This marks the second time in two years they have won state. After a very long season, their hard work finally paid off and won them the prestigious title!

Coming off of the high of winning state last year, there was a noticeable increase in the amount of pressure for the team to continue to win and be their best selves for the upcoming season.

“This year there was lots of pressure to continue our winning streak and uphold Air Academy Winter Guards standards,” junior captain Katie Roren stated.

“We did feel like there was lots of pressure on us during that competition, because of the legacy this school has left,” sophomore Margaret Dyer explained.

Being such a well respected team and following their previous win, the team definitely felt stress to continue their success. However, they put in a tremendous amount of work to prepare for it.

“Overall the design process lasts for about four months from November through March and… we practice about sixteen hours per week to ensure that we are ready for our performances,” Roren said of their preparation.

It is definitely no easy feat, as performing throughout the entire school year takes an incredible amount of hard work and effort.

“There’s lots of determination and strength with this sport, not just physically but mentally as well,” Dyer stated.

However hard it may be, the team definitely thinks it is worth it.

“I like the community that the color guard has and how we are like family and always there for each other,” captain Samantha Hopmayer said.

Besides being a sport in their own right, the team also contributes to the performances of the marching band during their competition season.

“During the fall we go outside and perform with the marching band, and during the winter we break off and perform in a tarp inside,” Dyer explained.

The team has many aspects on both an individual level and in relation to Air Academy’s successful marching band.

“[We] complement a marching band’s musical components through dance, flag, rifle, saber, and other visual elements,” Roren made clear.

Moving on from the marching band season of performances, it was essential for them to take extra steps to prepare for their winter guard season where they perform independently.

“The judges and the constructive criticism we got over the season is what helped us build our team,” Dyer said.

“Other competitions… helped us prepare by exposing us to a large audience and judges’ critique to see what we need to improve on and how to perform better in large venues” Roren elucidated thoughtfully.

After taking home the award for winning state, it was time for a well-deserved celebration for their huge success and the fruit of their hard labor.

“… being a non- audition based color guard who won against a world class audition team is such an accomplishment for this guard,” Dyer said happily.

Other spectators shared this idea, remarking about how amazing the team truly is.

“It’s a magical and stunning performance by only the most dedicated people,” sophomore Connor Holiday said heartily.

It’s safe to say that the AAHS color guard will continue to make Air Academy proud with their future successes and incredible performances!