Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Prom Celebrates Incredible Success

The annual prom dance had a great turnout and was a fun experience for all
Senior Elijah Hildy grooves on the dance floor at prom

The Air Academy High School (AAHS) prom formal dance occurred on Saturday, April 20th, at Flying W Ranch. There were almost 600 Air Academy students in attendance.

While prom is traditionally only for juniors and seniors, a few upperclassmen extended the invitation to freshman and sophomore invites.

“I had a really good time with all my friends!” senior Elijah Hildy stated.

The sentiment was shared across all attendees.

“Prom was really fun. I got to hang out with my friends and spend time with everyone which was nice,” senior Peter Patchen said.

With multiple attractions throughout the venue, it’s safe to say that Air Academy students had a great time. Some of the activities included in the building were a photobooth, backdrop, party games, and refreshments.

“I really liked the photobooth part! Me and my friends had a lot of fun taking pictures and making memories there,” Hildy explained.

Between friendly competition with the prom court nominees and fun group dances, the sense of community was definitely strong.

“I thought it was so special that the families of the prom court were invited to watch that little ceremony,” chaperone Dr. Cullen remarked.

The planning that went into executing such a high profile and incredible event cannot be overstated. Both the Student Council (StuCo) and staff members put copious amounts of work into the organization of the dance.

“I honestly think this prom was better than my high school prom.” Dr. Cullen said. “The humans of Air Academy are better.”

Prom has been established for centuries by now, and has changed throughout the years. For Air Academy, they’ve hosted an annual prom since its opening in the year 1957.

Air Academy certainly has a special community which is only made stronger by events like prom. The high turnout is most likely due to the extensive advertising put on by StuCo.

“I liked the posters that were set up,” Hildy said.

It definitely had an effect on the amount of students attending and made for an amazing experience for many of the people in attendance – students and staff alike!

“I had a blast… and the students seemed to be having a great time,” Dr. Cullen stated.

Organizing such an event takes a lot of work, and accomplishing such tasks as establishing a theme, getting a venue, and fixing minute details is all accredited to the amazing staff at Air Academy and the tireless efforts of student council.

“Student council works hard to plan prom. Juniors start working on it in January,” senior student council member Ella McCauley explained.

Such a large event has multiple varying aspects that are difficult to organize, especially for so many people in attendance.

“Some of [the] responsibilities are finding decorations, working with the DJ, and finding a photographer. They also design the ticket and pick the theme,” McCauley stated.

Luckily it went amazing and the hard work of student council and the willingness of everyone at Air Academy to participate and have fun during an event made prom a night to remember!