Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Discussion Around District Security Provokes Debate

Newly proposed security measures might be causing political turmoil
Student Laina Therrein at the gun violence protest in April of 2023
KRDO Channel 13

Over the last few weeks, the Academy District 20 (D20) school board and superintendent have been exploring different options for improved security throughout numerous schools. One of these was the proposed Faculty-Administrator Safety Training and Emergency Response (F.A.S.T.E.R.) program, which would have provided training for teachers and staff to carry firearms in schools.

After public outrage from parents, staff, and students, the district has put the plan on hold for a while. However, they are still taking steps to increase security around the district, such as increasing the number of School Resource Officers (SRO’s).

In the wake of terrible tragedies like the 2022 Robb Elementary shooting, instances of school shootings have been at the forefront of many people’s minds. For three years, the leading cause of death for children 18 and younger has been firearms.

Many different methods of fixing this issue have come about in recent years as the problem has grown continuously. As D20 is approaching this problem, the political climate surrounding whatever choice the board makes might shift dramatically.

One of the options proposed was the F.A.S.T.E.R. program, in an effort to provide better security and more adequate defense. Fighting fire with fire has proven to be a disputed idea.

With teachers being commonly criticized in America, these types of choices seem to be even more concerning when it comes to the scrutiny of parents, English and film teacher Mr. McCartney explained.

“If I’m not trusted… to have your child’s best interests in mind in my teaching, my choice of books, my speech, then why would you trust me to carry a firearm around your child?” McCartney posed.

In April of 2023, a nation-wide walkout occurred in protest of gun violence, especially in schools. Air Academy participated in the walkout, with hundreds of students chanting, raising signs, and standing in solidarity against gun violence.

However, there was a group of students who challenged the walkout, protesting against the group and claiming that their right to bear arms was in danger.

With past evidence being shown of both sides having strong opinions, any new choices regarding the security of schools will likely be met with some controversy.

The F.A.S.T.E.R. program would be voluntary to staff, but the implication behind this consideration still causes apprehension.

“If it ever became required in schools, I’m not sure I would continue to be a teacher,” an anonymous D20 teacher explained.

Besides just staff being anxious about changes regarding school safety, students are also taking a stand against the program, claiming that the culture of fear that would be instilled isn’t worth any extra protection.

“I don’t think anybody would be comfortable in a classroom where an adult or a person they’re supposed to trust could have access to a weapon,” senior Camille Potter said.

Parents have been one of the defining voices in recent months, whether it be speaking at the public comment section of the school board meeting, sending emails, or other forms of activism.

“I’m terrified to send my kids to school now, much less at a time where their teachers would be armed in a classroom,” an anonymous D20 parent explained in an interview.

The emotionally charged topic has reached intense heights, especially in the aftermath of gaining a new superintendent and two new board members that have expressed affirmation for the F.A.S.T.E.R. program.

“You’re begging for another murderous slaughter of children to happen,” citizen Liz Wilcox passionately accused at the March 7th school board meeting.

The statement: “Safety and security are a priority for Academy District 20. We are currently strengthening our security plan across the district” is the only current release. The school board and superintendent declined requests for further comment.