Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

New Football Coach Connecting with the Next Generation

Coach Waymond Jackson, the new AAHS football coach already connecting with the younger generation.
Eagle View football players getting prepared for their spring clinic.

With coach Waymond Jackson being named the new football coach for Air Academy he is looking to build relationships with future Air Academy football players. He is doing this by connecting with middle school football players that attend Eagle View middle school by hosting a football program for them. 

Coach Jackson will go to the teams practice and help them with drills and learning their playbook for their games. He started this a couple weeks ago after he was named head coach and has been helping the team ever since. This not only helps the players but him as well since he is looking to create a strong bond with his future players.

“We do a variety of different things to help us, we will either do walk-throughs of new plays for games or skill drills for our positions,” Gavin Mather, an eighth grader, stated.

The clinic he is running has the team doing a variety of different things to help them get better. One of the things they will do as a team is install new plays and go through them. This also helps their team better connect with each other so they are more prepared on gameday. This  will help them in the future as many of them will be teammates with each other in high school. 

The practices and drills aren’t just helping them get better but it is helping them learn what it means to be a team. This is the biggest thing that coach Jackson is trying to teach the kids during his clinic this spring. Yes being skilled will help them but them having chemistry with each other will have them better prepared for their season.

“We all love coach Jackson, we are all excited to get an opportunity to play for him at Air Academy in a couple of years,” Mason Ryan and eighth grader expressed. 

Coach Jackson clinic is big on him creating a bond with the players on the team. This is important to him so when they get to high school, he will already have a connection with them that is very strong.

“It has been fun being able to help the kids out for their season, I am happy they are excited about me being the new football coach at Air Academy,” Coach Jackson exclaimed. 

Not only are the kids at Eagle View middle school excited, coach Jackson is just as excited as they are about him getting the coaching job. It didn’t take him long to connect with his future players as they are already expressing their excitement about him being their future coach.

The spring clinic at Eagle view is looking to get them better as football players but this year’s clinic was a little different. They have not had this coach doing past clinics for them so they did not know how this year was going to be run. It was about being able to connect with their new coach and Coach Jackson has impressed the team in the short weeks he has been coaching them. Making them more excited about when they play football in high school.