Is Summer School Worth It?

Summer school is often disregarded and overlooked as something that is not beneficial to students. For prudent students, it is an opportunity to grow and get ahead in the future, and here’s why!

Shown is seventh grader Brayden Wilson sitting outside his house on the porch, smiling and doing his math homework.

Summer is a time for relaxation and rejuvenation from the long school year for students and teachers alike. Oftentimes, school is the last thing on everyone’s minds. Summer school offers an opportunity to get ahead and offer more free time to students during the school year. Registration for summer school opened on Friday April 14th, 2023 for current Academy District 20 students. 

The main thing that turns people away from summer school is the fact that it occurs during summer. Since summer is the break period for most people, they do not want to waste it or spend it doing something they do not enjoy. Another thing that turns people away is the cost.

“Summer school costs money, and for a lot of kids, they do it because they need to make up for a class they failed or missed. $100 isn’t affordable,” freshman Graham Geisler explained.

The time commitment is another quality that may make it hard for families to squeeze into their schedule.

“With the addition of how time consuming it is, and having to find a ride there and back, it isn’t convenient,” Geisler continued.

For families that are willing to find ways to incorporate it into their schedules, there are several great reasons why sacrificing the time during the summer to partake in summer school is worth it. 

There are many benefits of taking summer classes, including learning and skills development, working toward early or on-time graduation, and taking classes that are not typically offered during the school year,” according an article entitled  5 Benefits of Online Summer School, written by Allison Brubaker.

It also gives high school students the opportunity to graduate early.

“Not only can summer school help you pass, but students who take online summer school classes may have the opportunity to graduate early and get a head start in college. High school students can take core credit classes over the summer instead of waiting until the next school year,” Brubaker noted.

On top of all of these benefits, students can also make several great connections with others. This is great because sometimes bonding with new people can be difficult and challenging. 

“I believe that kids can build strong connections by relating to one another. Not only that, but they can also build connections with the teachers as well. They can look at it as: they’re struggling together, so they’re not alone,” Air Academy High School history teacher Kade Johnstone advised.

Both online and in person classes are offered for high school students within two sessions. Some students are looking to grow their skills in certain areas, fulfill graduation requirements, or recover academic credits. In addition to this, they can earn one semester credit each session of summer school.

The first session is June 5-28, 2023 located at Liberty High School (8720 Scarborough Dr., Colorado Springs, CO 80920). This session will be hosted Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00pm for in person classes. The second session is scheduled for July 10-28, 2023 at the same location as the first session. This session will also be hosted from Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00pm for in person classes. Both sessions mentioned will cost $110 each for students.

Information about payment and registration can be found on the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. Classes are expected to fill up soon, so if people are considering signing up, do so quickly!