Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

An Inspiring Restoration of the Choir Recording Studio

A look into a possible revamping of the Air Academy Choir Recording Studio
Michael Ellsworth
junior Will Graham demonstrates the possibility of a recording studio in the soon-to-be-renovated practice rooms.

In recent years many schools have seen an influx in technology for choir and music. However, some may argue that revamping a recording studio is far too expensive. Many choir students believe (Air Academy High School) should abandon inadequate tech and move toward the future because the benefits will outweigh the cost.

“The possibility of rebuilding the choir recording studio is awesome. A huge thing that the Air Academy choir has to offer is the opportunity to give students the ability to prepare more for their future,” senior choir president Avi Kumar exclaimed. 

Not just choir students but all students could benefit from having an innovative space. AAHS students can take advantage of the studio to delve into their artistic aspirations. Whether that is with music or broadcasting the recording studio would be a substantial space.

“It could be a safe space that students use. It could be used regularly just as practice rooms are, just a place where people feel free to go whenever they want,” Kumar affirmed.

AHHS Choir works closely with tech theater led by the renowned Ms. Greybeal. Though Greybeal is in the stage tech domain she has expressed that she would love to teach a music production class that would teach students how to record, mix, and master.

“My hopes for the future, especially with our career pathway with tech theater, would be to have recording arts classes where we would also have students who got to study sound engineering and recording arts,” choir teacher Dr. Lee stated

Dr. Lee loved the idea of bringing back recording arts to the choir. She expressed the excitement that students would experience being in a space for art and music. Dr. Lee dislikes the lack of creativity in choir regarding originality, like songwriting and making your music instead of what’s written out for you.

“I see students mainly leading this project with the help of an adult. If someone were available to learn how to operate it and were available to help others (a tech?), that would be the best option for keeping it operational and relevant,” junior Evie Hoover mentioned.

Hoover is a member of the (Choir Leadership Board). CLB will manage this project and will help the project significantly. Succeeding the completion of the studio, CLB will lead the operation of the space making a signup for studio usage.

“The funding is significant, but if it is used by students, then yes, the funding would be worth it,” Hoover added.

Funding for a new recording studio might take a lot. However, it would be beneficial for generations to come because it would leave a legacy for students so they can grow and learn in recording arts.

Though it may come as a surprise, art programs within AAHS are all getting a facelift. Many students believe it is about time we step into the future of technology in our school and refurbish a space where students can grow creatively and be uniquely artistic.