Appreciation for janitors

What do the janitors do for Air Academy during the day and on snow days? Look no further since this article tells it all!

Kendrick Latreille

Tim Clark outside the janitors office ready to take on a days hard work once again.

Janitors play a crucial role in maintaining the cleanliness and hygiene of schools, but they are often unappreciated and undervalued. Many schools do not provide janitors with the resources and equipment needed to do their job effectively, which can lead to frustration and low morale. It’s important to recognize the contributions of janitors and ensure they are given the support and appreciation they deserve.

“Unlike other schools, Air Academy high school provides everything we need in order to be able to clean and take care of the school to the best of our ability. We try our hardest in order to do what we are provided as well,” janitor Tim Clark said. 

When snow days happen in schools, janitors take on a crucial role in maintaining the safety and functionality of the school. They are responsible for clearing snow and ice from the sidewalks, parking lots, and entryways to ensure that students and staff can safely navigate the area. Inside the school, janitors work to keep the floors dry and free of any salt or slush that can accumulate from students’ boots. They also check and maintain the heating systems to ensure that the school remains warm and comfortable. In addition to this, janitors may also assist with snow removal from the roof or other areas where it poses a safety risk to students and staff members.

“During the cold and winter the job does get harder. It’s pretty much twenty four-seven with making sure the floors are slippery and that all the property on the school doesn’t have snow or ice on it in order to keep the students safe and the heating system does act up from time to time making it hard to maintain as well, it helps a lit when students and staff really try to make it easier on us,” janitor Brian Hoyt said. 

There are several ways in which students in schools can help janitors. First, students can make sure they dispose of their trash properly in designated bins instead of leaving it on the floor or in the hallways. Secondly, students can avoid drawing on or defacing school property, which can create more work for janitors.Third, students can make an effort to keep the school clean by wiping their feet when entering the school on rainy or snowy days, and by reporting any spills or messes they notice to a teacher or janitor. Lastly, students can show appreciation for the janitors’ hard work by thanking them and acknowledging their contributions towards the school.

Janitors are essential members of a school’s community since they play a critical role in maintaining a safe and clean environment for students and staff. It is important to show gratitude and respect for the janitors contributions to the school and to ensure they receive the support and recognition they deserve. By working together, students and staff can create a positive and welcoming environment for everyone in the school community.