Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Natalie Mahaffey Excels at AAHS

Natalie Mahaffey Constantly Tries New Things at AAHS
Natalie Mahaffey
Natalie Mahaffey working on a ceramics project.

Natalie Mahffey is a senior who has spent multiple years participating in wonderful classes at Air Academy High School (AAHS). Classes such as Ceramics, Yearbook, the National Honors Arts Society (NHAS), and more! She is a student who aims to try new things and to learn something new everyday by interacting with others and by putting her self out there!

Yearbook is one of the many classes that AAHS offers to help students gain a love and appreciation for the spirit of the school year and Mahaffey has participated in it for 2 years!

“I have been in year book for two years, my junior and senior year. Throughout the two years, we have practiced teamwork and artistic skills, but have also worked together to produce great yearbooks to highlight classes, clubs, sports, and student life,” Mahaffey exclaimed.

Natalie isn’t alone in yearbook. Her best friend Madison Burden has been by her side working on the yearbook with her.

“We have both been in that for two years now and this year especially, it required her and I to get really creative with the whole theme of the book,” senior Burden stated.

Along with yearbook, Mahaffey has participated in clubs like No Place for Hate and NAHS.

“Natalie has helped NAHS by just showing up for the club and for Jonny-O,” Burden said.

NAHS is a club where students can collaborate to add art like murals and pieces to the school, allowing students to be creative and to have fun with improving the school’s character.

“We have had soe after school activities consisting of chalk art and we also plan on making some art murals to help bring love and art into other parts of our school,” Mahaffey shared.

Mahaffey’s most notable experience’s here come from AAHS’s ceramics programs.

“I have taken 3 ceramics classes, but have been a teacher assistant for Jonny-O twice and I also regularly go in during lunch and KAT, or my partial to continue using my ‘creating’ time,” Mahaffey explained.

Mahaffey has made many notable pieces of work during her time at the ceramics classes.

“I think Natalie’s most creative piece has been her most recent ‘Star Wars’ themes chess set. It’s pretty cool, she did an excellent job! She also showed a lot of patience because another student unfortunately broke a piece of it and it was at first a bit of a struggle, but she managed to replace the piece that broke. I ultimately think she showed great perseverance,” ceramics teacher Jonny-O stated.

She has not only made chess pieces, but many tools and utensils that people can use in every day activities.

“She’s made an entire kitchen utensil set, like everything you could think of in her own style. Tea pots, regular cups, plates, you name it, but she decorates them in a very personal and artistic style that really suits her,” Burden said.

With all of these classes and clubs under her belt, it’s no surprise that Mahaffey can easily make friends and support others.

“To me, what makes Natalie special the most is her strong personality. When we are together, we can be real, ran, and honest with each other without worrying about hurting the others feelings. It’s really refreshing being myself, somewhat awkward. When it comes to being social, I don’t have to be fake around her and vise versa,” Burden shared.

She has not only done a lot for AAHS, but has constantly been selfless around others as well. All students and teachers should aim to be as friendly and curious as Natalie Mahaffey.