Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

AAHS Player of the Year Shining About The Upcoming Season

Senior Caitlin Kramer looking to finish her stellar career on a high note.
Senior+Caitlin+Kramer+going+off+of+a+pick+in+the+Kadets+elite+eight+game+vs+Roosevelt+
Senior Caitlin Kramer going off of a pick in the Kadets elite eight game vs Roosevelt

The Air Academy Girls basketball team is looking to have an amazing season like they had last year. They will be leaning on the shoulders of Colorado State commit Caitlin Kramer. Kramer helped lead the Kadets to a 17-9 record and an elite 8 appearance. 

Kramer last season averaged 26.5 points per game which was 3rd best in the state, second in 5A, and first in league. She was second in Colorado for field goals made with 261 and fourth in free throws made with 130. She was the leader of the team for points per game, field goal percentage, rebounds per game, steals per game, free throw percentage, and three-point percentage.

“I think my sister is going to make it into the two thousand-point club before the season ends.” Sean Kramer a senior stated.

Last year she achieved an incredible accomplishment of getting to 1000 career points scored. Going into her senior year she has a chance to achieve something even more impressive. If she has the same averages as she did her junior year she will join the two thousand-point club.

“Caitlin and I’s relationship is just as strong off the court as it is on the court, which helps us succeed in games.” Lydia Flowers, a junior expressed.

Lydia was the team’s second-leading scorer on last season’s team. She also had the team’s highest assist per game which helped give Kramer more opportunities to score and get easier shots. With Kramer being a senior this year and Flowers being a junior, they have one more season to achieve more than they already have together.

Even with Kramer being one of the best players in the state of Colorado, the Lady Kadets fell a couple of games short of a state championship. They breezed through the first round and sweet sixteen but lost to the eventual state champions Roosevelt 47-51 in the Elite Eight.

Kramer’s accomplishments and her leading the Kadets far into the postseason got her named Gazette Peak Performer of the Year for girls’ basketball, first-team all-area, and first-team all-state for 5A, and is ranked as the number one girls’ player in the 2024 class She is looking to repeat all these accomplishments in her senior season.

“One thing I wanna achieve before my high school career is over is to win Gatorade Player of the Year for women’s basketball.”

Kramer has accomplished almost as much as you can in high school basketball in Colorado. She has numerous all-state selections, has received numerous awards, and has hit many incredible milestones in her career. The only two things that she hasn’t done are win Gatorade Player of the Year and a state championship. With her being ranked as the best women’s basketball player in the 2024 class, She has given herself a great opportunity to achieve those two goals.

Kramer dominating on the court wasn’t just getting noticed locally, it was getting noticed by college coaches as well. Last year, she got offers from Pepperdine, Fresno State, Lmu, UC Davis, and Colorado State. After she took an unofficial visit to Colorado State, she verbally committed. All of this recognition will only help the Kadets going into their season.