Through Trial and Tribulation, No Place for Hate Continues to Pave the Path for Inclusiveness 

While most people are familiar with No Place for Hate (NPH), their actions go less noticed throughout the school with most people not even knowing what they do. NPH does not often receive recognition for its accomplishments at Air Academy High School. While the club has very minimal attendance, its impact on the school cannot be described in the same light.

Junior Avery Brandt who is club president this year, works tirelessly to ensure that all students who attend AAHS are included in the community. But the way they go about ensuring the comfort of students has changed every year to accommodate the needs of the school.

NPH has been around at AAHS for many years now. The group is still trying to find a way to adapt to the needs of the school and stay relevant. Over the years the club has been very active in its attempts to create a more welcoming environment for AAHS students such as the walk against hate organized during the pandemic.

The club continues to do activities such as the walk against hate, which will be hosted in late October this month. Last year the club came up short-handed in its attempts to include people in the community. These attempts include having club members sit by people who are sitting alone and trying to include them in their club. While some responded positively to this, most either walked away or asked the group to leave them alone. 

“The sitting with people idea did not work very well,” Brandt explained. 

“Oh yeah it sounds like a horrible idea,” freshman Carson Brandt commented.

While most attempts last year resulted in a less-than-favorable outcome, this club has not deterred and is changing its tactics to reach a larger group of people while not making its audience uncomfortable. Thanks to the nature of the club, everyone is invited to join the meetings and pitch their ideas on how to spread positivity and inclusivity amongst the AAHS community.

“Sometimes I will just show up to the meeting randomly,” junior Carly Cox mentioned.

NPH is a nationwide initiative to make all schools in the United States a place for all to come and learn while feeling comfortable at the same time. The initiative is in over eighteen thousand schools and over a million and a half students across the United States. NPH empowers teens to make the change they want to see in their schools and community. 

Club members Kyle You, Jack Ryder, and Nick Rohl meeting up with each other.

If you are someone looking to make a change in AAHS, then NPH is a must-do for you. If you are genuinely interested in joining the club or just have questions regarding the club, then you should reach out to NPH president Avery Brandt. She can answer any questions that you may have about the organization. NPH is an amazing group looking to include anyone and everyone and if you’re looking for a club to join then NPH might just be the place for you!