All About Food!

From reading simple cooking instructions to making complex family dishes, this article discusses anything and everything about food!

Reused image licensed under the Creative Commons. People engage creatively in the kitchen by cooking new, foreign dishes!

Many students from around Air Academy High School are avid chefs. Some spend several minutes microwaving pizza from their freezer, while others may spend up to hours a day perfecting their cuisine, only to eat it within minutes. However, these chefs share something imperative in common: They follow a recipe. From following simple instructions like microwaving for two minutes on high to the strict orders required to make a Thanksgiving Turkey, all chefs follow a recipe.

For some of the less food-savvy students out there, here are a couple of easy recipes anyone can try at an affordable price. The first one comes from junior reporter, Mia Holland’s, family. It is called Hodge Podge Soup. It consists of tomato chunks, a couple of boxes of broth, ground beef, one onion, macaroni noodles, and some good old creole seasoning.  It is pretty much all the stuff people find in a pantry except for the creole seasoning. The flavor is spicy, but it can change to the person’s preference. 

“Spaghetti is always an easy dish to make,” Mia Hollands’ brother, Michael Holland (5th Grade), mentioned. 

Families come together when they eat and having a special meal to share with your family makes it that much better. Every family has that one meal that brings their family together. This particular meal for a sophomore reporter, Kellen Palacio’s, family is tamales. This recipe contains pork, corn husks, chile powder, cornflour, lard, and water. Time is a significant factor that goes into making this specific dish, but having the complete taste and flavor is indescribable. Tamales have an acquired taste but are also enjoyed by millions of people from around the world. Having a special meal always leaves something to look forward to when extended family visits. 

“My family loves having chicken enchiladas. It always brings us together around the holidays and we make some great memories. I’ve had this meal for as long as I can remember and all the memories with it. The food is a special mark in my life, especially around Christmas,” sophomore Jadyn Selecky commented.

Not only can cooking be a fun past-time, but it can also lead to future endeavors. Chefs, servers, hosts, baristas, and more can all branch out from someone’s childhood hobby. Several of the gourmet chefs seen in restaurants from around the country cooked when they were young and then chose to pursue their careers and credentials later.

“Well, I’ve branched out since I was a kid. Then, I only liked to make cookies and pies, now I try to cook almost anything I feel like I want to eat. I like to cook things that are made with in-season, fresh ingredients. I go to the store and decide what looks good and then I cook with it,” French teacher and chef, Kim Sinkola, explained.

Many qualities of chefs are taught in school and first jobs; whereas they will be taught to cook simple things. They are taught life and social skills in school, preparing them, just as they may prepare the food later in life.