Domestic Terrorism Hits Colorado Springs

Planned Parenthood, Colorado Springs Photo courtesy of Google Maps via screenshot.

The “Planned Parenthood Shooting,” which took place Friday, November 27th, 2015 at the Planned Parenthood on Centennial and Fillmore, has shaken our community by the tragic loss of three innocent victims and has also rallied it against the violence that was said to be an unforgivable act of “domestic terrorism.”

After a 5 hour shoot off at the Planned Parenthood, Robert Lewis Dear was cornered and arrested without bail in a local jail.  Respondents rushed to the scene, a spectacle witnessed by many Air Academy students.  A total of 35 fire trucks and other vehicles, 12 ambulances, and 26 AMR crew members, as well as countless officers from the Colorado Springs Police, State Patrol, El Paso County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI, the Colorado State Patrol and Bureau of Investigation were present.  Among those at the scene was Air Academy’s own Officer Herman, who was honored at an assembly on Friday, December 5th.

Dear, 57, reportedly lived in Colorado for only one year, moving to a remote property outside of the Springs after years in North and South Carolina.  He had past infringements with the law on his record, including accusations of domestic assault.  His neighbor reported to have only talked to him once.

Eleven people were direct victims of the attack and were transported to local hospitals the same evening, five of which were police officers.  Nine of these victims were reported to be doing well the Sunday after the attack, withstanding injuries and mental shock from witnessing the horrid event.

Tragically, not everyone survived the attack.  Our community has grieved the loss of three individuals who died Saturday, including UCCS Officer and hero Garrett Swasey.  He is survived by his wife, who attended Air Academy High School, and two young children.  On Sunday, November 29th, his family released the statement, “Our loss cannot be expressed in words. While the nation now knows Garrett as a hero who gave his life for others, he was also a devoted husband of 17 years and a wonderful father to his two children. His greatest joys were his family, his church, and his profession. We will cherish his memory, especially those times he spent tossing the football to his son and snuggling with his daughter on the couch.”  The Swasey’s also thanked the community and added that, “We understand this is a public tragedy felt by many and we also appreciate your support for us to grieve privately.”  His funeral was held Friday, December 5th at New Life Church.

The two other horrific losses from Friday’s shooting were Jennifer Markovsky, a mother and wife, and Ke’Arre Stewart, a father and Army veteran.  

Jennifer Markovsky left behind two children, her parents, and her husband.  She was supporting her friend at Planned Parenthood that day, but was the one that didn’t make it out.

Ke’Arre Stewart, father to two daughters and war veteran, was trying to help others to safety when he was shot.  This selfless act was characteristic of his “heart of gold,” as described by his cousin Angela Stewart. “He was a wonderful dad,” she said, “Not a violent bone in his body” (NY Daily News).

The news hit our local community hard, and even nationwide news sources picked up the story.  With most of the students at Air Academy living within miles of the shooting, the shooting was personal and shocking.  Air Academy Student Jessica Cox says she met Officer Swasey because he was at some family dinners with one of her close friends.    “He was a sweet guy,” she said. “It’s absolutely awful what happened.  His family didn’t deserve that.”

Concerning the motive for the shooting, Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers stated that “inferences (could be made) from where it took place” (Denver Post).  Whether or not the shooter’s motive was specifically against Planned Parenthood has been assumed; however, the motive of the shooter is irrelevant to the tragedy of the massacre.  It’s not about gun rights or political agendas, it’s about human life.  Governor Hickenlooper’s statements Saturday called the event “Domestic Terrorism,” regardless of the political motives of the shooter.  

“I’m sorry that President Obama tried to politicize this tragedy,” US Representative Doug Lambourn stated, going on to say that, “The only appropriate thing to do is to grieve with the families … and express gratitude to our first responders” (The Gazette).

Clearly, our community has undergone tremendous difficulty together through the past few years between the Waldo Canyon fire, the Black Forest fire, and the recent shooting.  This being said, our community rallying around those hurting is inspiring.

In the words of Mr. Rogers, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”  Colorado Springs is full of these helpers.  Let’s take this tragedy as a call to action to assemble around those affected and stand together, “Colorado Strong.” How you can help – Below is a link to funds set up to help the victims of the shooting:

Officer Swasey’s family: https://www.youcaring.com/the-family-of-officer-swasey-rachel-swasey-and-children-477034

Sources:

Dingrando, Greg, and Rachel Swasey. “Statement from Officer Swasey’s Family.” KOAA 5. NBC News Digital, 29 Nov. 2015. Web. 29 Nov. 2015.

Conlon, Kevin, Pamela Brown, and Greg Botelho. “Source: Colorado Shooting Suspect Spoke of ‘baby Parts’ – CNN.com.” CNN. Cable News Network, 29 Nov. 2015. Web. 29 Nov. 2015.

Diaz, Daniella. “2016ers Tweet about the Colorado Planned Parenthood Shooting – CNNPolitics.com.” CNN. Cable News Network, 28 Nov. 2015. Web. 29 Nov. 2015.

The Gazette. “Suspect Identified in Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting, 3 Killed, 9 Injured.” The Gazette. N.p., 29 Nov. 2015. Web. 29 Nov. 2015.