Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Students Dive Into The Little Mermaid Production

Behind the Scenes of the School Musical
Tech+crew+prepares+for+opening+night+at+their+dress+rehearsal.+Senior+Will+Lamb+%28right%29+applies+makeup+on+freshman+Finn+Richie+before+his+stage+cue.+
Kaitlyn Marks
Tech crew prepares for opening night at their dress rehearsal. Senior Will Lamb (right) applies makeup on freshman Finn Richie before his stage cue.

Air Academy High School proudly presents a classic production of The Little Mermaid. From March 14 through 16 in the Air Academy Auditorium, the musical serves as an opportunity to support the fledgling Arts program at Air Academy by showcasing new student talent. 

“We started talking about doing The Little Mermaid this summer. That’s how it all started getting planned. There’s been a lot of work, but it’s all starting to come together amazingly. We’re really starting to see the pieces slide into place,” senior, head of the makeup department, Will Lamb said. 

From approving student designed sets and costumes, creating makeup looks, and making sure stage transitions go smoothly, opening night has been a long time coming for all those involved in The Little Mermaid, and even now, not everything is complete.

“It’s really hard to get actors and everyone together in time. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem on show night, but I think improvements on timeliness are something we’re still actively working on,” Lamb said of the production’s lack of coordination.

The set, in particular, has been a challenge for many tech students. From staying late after school hours, to repainting an entire stage, tech students have been working hard to create the highest quality show they can. However, there are still more improvements to be made with actors and dancers as well.

“Right now, it’s mostly getting down to a lot of nitty gritty. Remembering your dance moves, your cues, and when the lights come on. It’s mostly just technical stuff like knowing where to put your hands while dancing and making sure to dance in time with other actors,” senior actor Hunter Roren proclaimed.

The Little Mermaid has been, by far, one of the most technically advanced shows that Air Academy has produced. In preparation for the 2024-25 Integrated Arts Academy, this year’s theater program has made the transition to a more elevated and advanced Arts program. Students in the theater program have embraced this challenge and hope to see the musical make way for bigger opportunities.

“I think it’s really amazing. They’ve put a lot of hard work into it, and the concept of it is really cool. I think people are going to really enjoy the production,” sophomore, tech student, Laina Therrien said.

Members of the theater program have given the show high marks, praising the musical for its top tier casting and Broadway level performances. 

“There’s so much passion behind it, and there’s so much work that’s gone into it to designing all the sets, to developing characters. I think it’ll be one of the best shows Air Academy’s ever done,” Hunter Roren said.

Passion has been the driving factor in the success of The Little Mermaid. With many cast members and crew in their last year of their high school careers, this is their final dance. The only thing left to do is put on a show stopping performance. 

The Little Mermaid is expecting a huge turnout this weekend, with high expectations for a sold-out show. With the second semester slowly drawing to a close, this musical is sure to end the school year with a bang.