Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Captains Council Prioritizes Leadership at AAHS

Learn how Captains Council is taking over leadership within the sports programs here at AAHS and the impact that has already started to show!
Athletic director Kali Maxwell going over the fall semester roster for Captains Council to see who is willing to join!

Air Academy High School (AAHS) has recently added a new leadership club to the mixes. Captain’s Council was added to AAHS in August 2023 and was established by athletic director Kali Maxwell and history teacher Mr. Clark. The intended goal for the club was to initiate leadership throughout sports and have student-athletes more engaged in ways to help influence their teams. 

“I think Mr. Clark does an amazing job with the leadership on the boy’s basketball team … so when I was thinking of starting the club he was definitely someone I wanted to bring on as a spokesperson,” Mrs. Maxwell stated. 

There are many current ways that Mrs. Maxwell has intended the club to grow into. One of the emphasized matters presented for leadership within the club was to have coaches, teachers, and even parents sit in on one of Mr. Clark’s speeches. 

“We have invited many coaches to come whenever they want … but any coach, teacher, or anyone that wants to come and check out what we got going on is more than welcome,” Mrs. Maxwell said passionately. 

The prioritized goal for the club is to build leadership skills throughout the players to spread them into the programs of AAHS. Mrs. Maxwell and Mr. Clark’s thinking was to start recruiting the younger players of teams to then have a full cycle of leadership by the time they graduate. 

“I think it is a good idea for the younger grades to get the opportunity to learn about leadership skills so then when they are seniors they have the opportunity to help the younger grades learn the ways around a team,” senior volleyball player, Tatum Salamon. 

Most sports during the season find it hard to make time in their schedules to meet early in the morning, so to help matters, spring sports meet in the fall, while fall sports meet in the spring. 

Both Mrs. Maxwell and Mr. Clark decided to try to focus on sophomores, juniors and seniors for the club, considering that it can be a struggle to find options to drive places at an early time in the morning. 

“I agreed with meeting at such an early time in the morning because it then showed who was dedicated to learn and build on their leadership skills,” senior girls basketball player, Ally Collins stated. 

Captain’s council members taking the time out of their schedule to learn about ways to impact the team to deal with negative situations, and even persevere through a season is beneficial to many athletes here at AAHS, especially considering most have not had the opportunity to learn about various types of leadership. 

“I found the aspects of being able to lead a group of people where they can respect me and listen were beneficial all thanks to Captain’s Council,” senior baseball player Frank Flores said.

Leadership is a key component to all athletic programs, especially ones that AAHS prides itself in demonstrating. With programs such as the Captain’s Council being introduced, there is without a doubt that student-athletes will exceed expectations in the club and help with the rise of leadership throughout all sports programs here at AAHS.