Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

The Kadets are victorious once again

Girls Cross Country Are State Champions Once Again!
The Lady Kadets being presented the 2023 girls cross country state championship trophy.

Girls Cross Country Are State Champions Once Again

Air Academy’s girls cross country team are back to back state champions! The girls team successfully defended their state championship at the Norris Penrose Event Center. They were led by senior NC State commit Bethany Michalak. The Lady Kadets won by an even bigger margin this year, they won by 26 points this year, which was larger than last years.

The team finished with an impressive five 1st team all state selections, one second team all state selection, and two honorable mentions. The first team selections were freshman Chamorra Cooper,  Mariah Hook, senior Bethany Michalak and junior Tessa Walter. Second team selection was junior Emily Beers, and honorable mentions were sophomores Jordan Banta and Lauren Myers.  Not only did they have numerous all state selections, coach Chuck Schwartz was named 5A coach of the year. 

“A three-peat is definitely a possibility for next, we are losing some seniors but we have a lot of depth on our team,” Olivia Chura a junior stated.

The Kadets, just a couple weeks ago, defended their state championship only a couple of weeks ago but are already thinking about a three-peat. Five out of the six Kadets that earned All-State honors will be returning next year and while losing some seniors is a huge loss, the Kadets will still be as strong as they were this year. This will make a three-peat a very big possibility for next season. It will be more challenging though because Niwot High School, which is ranked as one of the best girls high school cross country teams, will be moving up to 5A next year.

“Yes, there definitely is added pressure, it’s easy to focus on what others are thinking. The key is to only focus on you and your team and not worry about others,” senior Bethany Michalak expressed.

Winning a state championship is a difficult task, especially winning a state championship two years in a row. The team only focused on themselves and their team goals and personal goals. The outside noise did not phase the team at all and played a big part in why they were able to go back to back.

Not only are the Kadets making noise in the state of Colorado, they are also making noise at the national level as well. According to Milesplit, they are ranked as the second best girls high school cross country team in the country ,the only team that is ranked higher is Niwot High School from Niwot, Colorado.  This high ranking gives them a great opportunity at nationals and hopefully ends in them winning a national championship.

“We are definitely hoping to place well at nationals, to win would be amazing, but top three is the real goal!” senior Bethany Michalak stated. 

The Lady Kadets are aiming to at least place top three at nationals in a couple of weeks. With the talent and depth that they have, they give themselves a very good chance at walking out of nationals as national champions.