Encouragement of Honors Classes

A+stacked+pile+of+books+waiting+to+be+opened.+Labeled+for+Reuse+under+the+Creative+Commons.+

A stacked pile of books waiting to be opened. Labeled for Reuse under the Creative Commons.

From completing long projects, writing argumentative papers and completing small group assignments, honors classes provide a sizeable workload. Despite the immense workload, taking an honors class is incredibly rewarding since it challenges a student academically and enables them to achieve a higher level of education. 

Although these classes provide great benefits, many students are unaware of the differences that honors classes offer compared to regular courses. An honors class is a more advanced course that examines the provided curriculum more in-depth. Along with this, honors classes are also weighted, which can increase one’s GPA if they perform well throughout the semester. 

Even though enrolling in an honors class will be difficult, having a weighted course dramatically impacts an individual’s overall GPA.

Sophomore Kaden Cannon is currently enrolled in numerous honors classes, which poses a significant impact on achieving exceptional grades. 

I would almost definitely recommend others to take honors classes because if you’re up to it, it isn’t too much of a challenge, and the boost to the GPA is certainly worth it,” commented Cannon. 

In addition to a weighted GPA, honors classes also help prepare students to pursue a higher level of education, such as attending a college or university. A prominent believer in the importance of this is honors world history, geography, and economics teacher, Lee Routsong. 

“The Honors program is designed to help prepare students for College. It will help you prepare for the reading and writing of a college-level course,” noted Routsong.

While honors courses can impact overall GPA and challenge a student academically, there are also disadvantages associated with these courses. One common disadvantage is the undemanding workload and curriculum being taught amongst students. Although numerous students enroll in these courses for a variety of reasons, not all students, including Cannon feel they are being pressured enough. 

“There are some cases where I feel like the honors classes are more difficult, such as chemistry or English, but in other cases, I feel like there may not be much difference,” stated Cannon. 

In contrast to this, while a student might not be overwhelmed with the workload, a large factor of this outcome resonates with the teacher. In my personal experience, my overall understanding of the content is considerably impacted by the teacher. While I have experienced some exhilarating things, I have also dealt with a plethora of negative outcomes while taking an honors course. 

Yet, with this being said, I would not let my experience discourage anyone from enrolling in an honors course. I believe that if a student is looking to undergo an academic challenge, an honors course might be the perfect alternative. Without a doubt, enrolling in an honors class will be tough, yet it will also build the foundation for a higher level of education for all students.