Brobotics

Photo used with permission from Rocky Mountain Robotics

As a sharp contrast to the low IQ levels often found in many aspects of today’s popular culture, a group of trendy engineers started a program called FIRST Robotics in 1992 that mandated higher level thinking. Founders Dean Kamen and Woodie Flowers had a vision that “kids could aspire to do great things in the fields of science and mathematics.”

24 years later, this vision has been captured and FIRST Robotics consists of 3,128 teams across 24 countries, including District 20’s own Rocky Mountain Robotics. Over the past couple of weeks, Rocky Mountain Robotics has competed in two different competitions — and fared well in both. They hold team number 662, and are usually one of the more experienced teams in the field. The Head Mentor is none other than student-favorite Mr. Buhler, accompanied by student CEO Jessica Mills. Alongside these two fearless leaders are the “drive team,” consisting of Alex Johnson, Jackson Kulik, Nick Oetting, and Stefan Orton-Urbina.

This year’s game was called Stronghold, and consisted of breaching opponent’s defenses and scoring on their “tower.” The Rocky Mountain Robotics team used a ten wheel tank drive with a west coast drive train that caused the robot to stand out from the field. To clear up the inevitable confusion, a ten wheel tank drive just means that the Robot consists of ten wheels (5 on each side,) and the center wheel is dropped lower to the ground than the other wheels. This west coast style tank drive allows the Robot to more quickly navigate the playing field because the dropped wheel essentially shortens the turning radius of the robot by 50%.

rmr team photo

FIRST Robotics is a great way to not only provide 21st century learning tools at the hands of many young high-schoolers, it also allows for a greater spectrum of teenagers to reap the benefits of healthy competition. While math and science areas provide many long term rewards for hardworking, “STEM” focused students, these far-off rewards are often lost in the many complications of high school life. Thus, FIRST provides a tangible reward for students who have dedicated time and resources to further their skill set in math and science; these rewards serve as a representation of the endless benefits and opportunities that this dedication in Math and Science can provide. In high school, we celebrate athletes and seem to lift them up on some sort of pedestal, casting a shadow on students who choose to focus on other clubs and activities.  With Robotics, students who have seldom been recognized for their talents and commitment in other areas besides sports can be recognized for their achievements.

Rocky Mountain Robotics just wrapped up its season with some strong performances in both regionals. In Northern Arizona, the students and robot overcame early struggles to eventually climb to the twelfth best qualifying position out of 52 teams.  The robot’s arms broke three times in the practice and early qualification rounds, but the drive team cleverly thought of quick solutions each time a problem presented itself. While the team fell short of qualifying for Nationals, Rocky Mountain Robotics did not leave the regional empty-handed, bringing home the hardware for Entrepreneurship as well as Excellence in Engineering.

In Denver, the team had another impressive showing. After qualifying, the team was ranked 7th out of 48 teams. They fell just short in the quarterfinals after losing a close match in a tiebreaker. Despite all the success, this was never about winning for the mentors and players. FIRST Robotics is unique not because of the accolades or awards, but because of the lifelong lessons and 21st century skill set you can learn in just one season. FIRST gives kids from all different backgrounds and interests a chance to come together and be a part of something bigger than themselves. Furthermore, it teaches kids to effectively problem solve — which takes not only knowledge in the areas of math and science, but also the ability to utilize that knowledge and communicate in a way that best helps the team.