The Great Migration

Two+students%2C+Catherine+Palka+and+Jared+Stark%2C+show+their+enthusiasm+for+The+Colbert+Report.%0AOriginal+picture+by+Caty+Palka.+

Two students, Catherine Palka and Jared Stark, show their enthusiasm for The Colbert Report. Original picture by Caty Palka.

David Letterman, Steven Colbert, Jon Stewart, and Craig Ferguson depart their respective late night shows that have had such a strong presence in America’s political and social commentaries for nearly 15 years.

Though these talk shows were less opinionated and extremely formulaic, the monologues of the hosts sometimes truly had something to say about societal norms or global issues that deserved light shed on them.

David Letterman has been in the business longer than any of the other hosts who are leaving. He has a great history with Jon Stewart. When Jon Stewart’s late night show was canceled back in 1995, partly thanks to Letterman’s support, Stewart went on to host The Daily Show.

Steven Colbert is another great host that left behind his hit show The Colbert Report to move on to The Late Show. Colbert began his carrier on Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show as a correspondent who steps in for bits that involve mock interviews and the like. His particular character was both humorless and hilarious.

Jon Stewart has created a large name for himself and his show. His wit and critical outlook on Washington politics is respected and has the power to influence public opinion. He says exactly what the public is thinking regarding headline news stories. The Daily Show is a fake news source, but at the same time, he reveals ideas and makes counterpoints to the ‘real’ news, creating a more direct representation of what is being reported on, rather than presenting convoluted news. It has been honorably dubbed “the most trusted name in fake news.” Government officials and members of the press have expressed to Stewart that he tells it like it is and, “I wish I was able to say that.” His retort: “Geez, maybe you should, seeing as that you have a 24-hour network.” There’s something to be said about the press when a comedian is a more trusted news source than so many of the 24-hour news programs that are available to Americans.

Two students, Catherine Palka and Jared Stark, show their enthusiasm for The Colbert Report.
Original picture by Caty Palka.

Craig Ferguson is another long time host who left The Late Late Show for personal reasons. He often tried to break free from the typical talk show mold and inserted bits of British sketch humor throughout his show. His monologues weren’t unfocused and he never mentioned six different, unrelated stories in one shot. Some monologues even had unforgettable personal touches, namely the time he talked about his struggle with drinking and likened his experiences to Britney Spears’s own life. Luckily there is a strong candidate set up to take over the show who will uphold the British humor tradition: James Corden. Corden’s takes a turn in Ferguson’s place, running with the show’s idea of breaking talk show norms. In many instances, he avoids having a pre-interview with guest stars on his show, inadvertently crafting an unscripted improvisation.

There has always been movement of talk show hosts, but the past year debuted final episodes of ample great comics. Though each have their merits and their lasting imprints on the shows they’re leaving, the networks have found replacements for most of the shows.  Still The Colbert Report remains inconclusive until another comedian with the last name Colbert is found. Good luck to the next generation of hosts. May your reign be as fruitful and fulfilling as your predecessors.