Was the 2022 Football Season a Turning Point for Air Academy?

This article covers why Air Academy High School is showing a peak in sports performance and it all started with the 2022 football season.

Air Academy showing school spirt during a 2022 season football game. This photo includes the football team, the cheer team, Air Academy High School student section, and the band gathering to do a traditional cheer when winning a game.

Air Academy High School’s football team for the 2022 season made finals for the first time in 15 years. While the Kadet spirit has always been strong whether the school made it to finals or not, making it to finals was huge for both the players and their supporters.  This year’s team was very focused on training to build each other up.

While they focused on improving techniques as individuals, the team practiced communication and working together in every aspect of the game. This year’s practices started early in the summer working into the fall season.  Junior, Kingdavid Rogers, who held the jersey number 80, played a very crucial role on the team. Rogers himself made two touchdowns this season, however, also assisted in several touchdown passes. 

“Playing as a Kadet is tough, but definitely made me a better man due to having such a strict coach. I have endured many tough practices and put in a lot of hard work but it all will be worth it in the future,” Rogers expressed.

Sophomore Killian Asher, a player transitioning between junior varsity and varsity, shared his experience while playing as a Kadet, which shared similar points as Rogers.

“Being a Kadet has made me a better athlete, helping me to be stronger and faster on the field. But the sport has also made me a better person by giving me confidence and work ethic that I don’t believe I would’ve gained without it,” Asher explained.

Rodgers explained that being a Kadet has affected him positively as a player, as well as a person outside of the sport. Football is very tedious and in order to improve a lot of work has to be put in. In addition to this, having a strict coach gives the players a lot of structure. The players will then learn good habits for life outside of the sport because they focus so strongly on good worth ethic in the sport through the insight of their coaches.

“This year was more dominant in competitiveness in practices. The team also really focused on the weight room and strengthening,” Rogers stated.

By creating a more competitive environment in practices, it gave the players the extra push they needed to help them improve. Football players are always shown to be extremely strong across social media, but they do not gain those muscles by playing the sport itself. Putting extra work in the gym helps players gain the physic they need to perform the best when playing. Asher shared his outlook on the changes that were specifically made to improve the team compared to his first year playing as a Kadet. 

“I believe we mostly improved being able to really connect and understand everything that was happening both on and off the field. We all gained a better connection with one another which is what truly impacted how we played together,” Asher explains.

Being connected with your teammates improves the overall performance that each player is capable of. This is also shown throughout many other sports too. 

AAHS has had many good runs in sports this year. Football was just a kickoff to the amazing year. With the new work ethic the team is experiencing, there is hope for the coming season in the fall. While the Kadets football team has always put in hard work, it is finally paying off!