A Singles Guide to Valentine’s Day

The book that every single student wants! (Not available in stores)

Valentine’s Day is coming soon, and some are more excited than others.

Originally celebrating the roman Saint Valentine, people celebrate the holiday with love, passion and affection, according to History.

However, for others, it isn’t always sunshine and rainbows. Valentine’s Day can be a time for crying; awareness of one’s own loneliness can be overwhelming (which can sometimes drive one to consume mass amounts of deliciously comforting ice cream).

According to CNN, in 2016 alone 115.78 million Americans were single. An entirely unrelated statistic noted that chocolate purchases comprised 75% of US holiday candy sales.

Notably, one billion victims were reportedly scammed or catfished on online dating sites during Valentine’s Day.

What do single students at Air Academy do during Valentine’s day? 

An Instagram question asked that very question, and around 70% said they spent the day crying. Wonderful! However, this can be taken seriously or facetiously.

Sophomore Amelia Ubben took the joke even further and said people likely would “cry, then realize they don’t need someone else to be happy, then cry again.”

Sophomore Breandon Young takes the somewhat of an unfavorable approach to Valentine’s day said he would “pretend it doesn’t exist.”

“Valentine’s Day is nothing but a corporate scam. It exploits the singles in the world and uses it for commercialism,” added Young.

Other single students take a positive outlook on the holiday; a current trend is to celebrate friendship rather than a partner.

Senior Benjamin Arbner said he likes to “hang out with closest friends because Valentine’s day is our friendiversary.”

The term “Palentine’s day” (or friend Valentine’s day) refers to a ritual where one spends the infamously romantic holiday with pals instead of partners.

“After all, your best friend can be your closest partner,” said Arbner.

Another way to celebrate Valentine’s Day is to advance artistic skills like sophomore Kate Guiberson, who learns how to make different origami hearts every year for Valentine’s Day.

“The first year I did it was when I injured myself and was taking time off swim practice. I was just bored and I wanted to do something nice for my friends,” said Guiberson.

Some may make an economical choice to wait to celebrate Valentine’s day, according to sophomore Samantha Gregerson, who buys candy the day after the celebrations are at an end. “Valentine’s Day can be better the day after because you can celebrate your singleness with extremely cheap candy,” she said.

Ultimately, Valentine’s Day is about celebrating the relationships in your life, be they platonic or romantic.

Any relationship needs love to work, and that love can be expressed through art, food, sappy music or the company of kind people. Most importantly, you can take time to love yourself, too.

Actor Keanu Reeves said in an interview, “I’m single and I don’t feel lonely, I take myself to eat, I buy myself clothes. I have great times buy myself, Once you know how to take care of yourself, companionship becomes an option, not a necessity.”  

If the legend who played John Wick/Neo can do it, then you can too.

Have a happy Valentine’s Day!