PewDiePie vs T-Series: Popular Youtube Star is Racing Against Bollywood Music Label

Back to Article
Back to Article

Famous Youtube star and large media company in competition: PewDiePie against T-Series. Image courtesy of Dexerto labeled for reuse.

In the vast media universe, competition is always present.

With over 70 million subscribers on YouTube, a channel titled PewDiePie competes for social media power and influence. PewDiePie was started by a man named Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg. He is a video producer and has been extremely successful on the YouTube platform; he is the number one most subscribed person in the world since 2013.

Viewers’ concern over PewDiePie losing his number-one spot on the Youtube charts has to do with companies’ trend of overpowering self-made content producers.

Super Cassettes Industries Private Limited, better known as T-Series, is a music, video and DVD/VCD play system production company based in Noida, India. The rivalry between T-Series and Pewdiepie is the result of the T-Series obtaining over 69.4 million subscribers and coming extremely close to passing Kjellberg’s channel.

According to Social Blade, subscriber and viewer count statistics suggest that T-Series is growing four times faster than PewDiePie and may eventually overtake the number one spot on YouTube.

This antipathy between the two channels has brought many responses from the YouTube community, encouraging some of the people subscribed to PewDiePie to take the situation into their own hands and support him.

A popular YouTuber, MrBeast, whose channel has over 10 million subscribers, created a trend to promote PewDiePie and negate the success of T-Series. In order to support and promote Kjellberg’s channel, people in MrBeast’s video bought billboards and ads in airports, on the radio and in bathrooms.

“For all the years I have been watching Youtube, I never thought there would be a channel that could grow bigger than PewDiePie,” said junior Kalman Adams. “This is just unexpected.”

With all the support going toward PewDiePie, little has been done to defend T-Series.

JusReign is one of the few channels supporting T-Series. The owner of the channel, Jasmeet Singh, made a video defending the media content (such as movies and videos) that the company puts out.

“Every time I look at the logo for T-Series it brings up a warm nostalgic feeling to my heart. I can be reminded of  the music, the movies, the posters, the charms from my childhood,” stated Singh in his recent upload, “In Defense of T-Series.”

There is a live subscriber count people can visit to see the current numbers of subscribers each channel has.

About the Writer
Elise Brooks, Journalist

Hey there! My name is Elise, I'm a sophomore who's always hungry and I can't wait to improve my writing skills. I love sea animals, Tinker bell movies,...