6 Little Ways to Change Your Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

6 Little Ways to Change Your Life

Open Book labelled for reuse by Google

Open Book labelled for reuse by Google

Open Book labelled for reuse by Google

Open Book labelled for reuse by Google

Ryn Wayman, Social Media

With the start of a new year, the idea of a new start is very appealing, but often New Year’s Resolutions are too difficult to uphold. As for people looking to make a small change to improve their lives, here are some easy ideas.

• Drink more water
    • Drinking enough water is often a struggle, though three liters of water is the amount of water that the Mayo Clinic recommends for daily consumption and that goal can be hard to hit for people with a packed schedule. An easy way to help is to download a water reminder app like Plant Nanny, which waters a virtual plant every time you drink water.
    • Or try drinking a glass of water as soon as you wake up. If you leave a glass of water by your bedside it makes it even easier to wake up your digestive system and start your day hydrated.
  • Limit procrastination
    • Procrastination or waiting until the last minute to complete a task often leads to a ton of stress and makes it hard to submit a quality project or work.
    • “Not procrastinating this school year helped me get college and scholarship apps in way before the deadlines, and that has made life way less stressful,” said Simone Butler, senior.
    • Try the 60/10 method, for sixty minutes work on the task needed to be completed and after the sixty minutes has elapsed, set a timer for ten minutes and take a break.
    • “Putting my phone on silent, so it isn’t a homework distraction,” said Sophia Bowen, senior, helps her limit procrastination.
    • Consider touching it once, if you have a to-do list that seems overwhelming go through the list. If a task will take you less than five minutes, try to get it finished. Often times, starting is the hardest part.
  • Make the most of your mornings
    • The morning usually passes by in a blurry haze, but try to set the tone for your day in the morning by making the most of it.
    • “In the morning, I listen to Bible Studies, the news, or other discussions on YouTube and it’s been a great way to start my day,” said Simone Butler.
    • Try a short workout in the morning; just ten-fifteen minutes can give a sense of accomplishment and a burst of endorphins to brighten your day.
  • Save money
    • With college and other activities just around the corner, the need for cash is always apparent.
    • Try saving your excess change in a mason jar. If you find yourself tempted to open it before the jar is full, hot glue it shut!
    • Limit going off for lunch, although those five-ten dollar purchase don’t  seem like a lot in the moment, these small purchases can add up to hundreds a year.
  • Get some rest
    • Sleep is one of the most necessary functions of the human body, but often we get too little sleep.
    • Try for a power nap. When you need to wake up early for school and have homework and afterschool events, a fifteen-twenty minute nap can help you recharge, according to WebMD.
    • If chronic sleeplessness plagues you, try checking with your doctor and see about adding a melatonin supplement to help you sleep.
  • Take time to reflect
    • Taking five minutes at the end of the day to reflect on what has happened is a good way to decompress and find gratitude for the life you live. It can even help you sleep better, according to a 2011 study published in Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being.
    • “Recently I’ve been journaling every night which has helped me calm down before I go to sleep and organize my thoughts. It seems like a simple thing but it has actually helped me get into a routine at night. The only thing challenging about it is that sometimes I would forget but once I can get into a constant loop of things it has been an improvement,” said Miranda McCauley, sophomore.

Even when you feel overwhelmed with the pressure of maintaining a large or vague resolution, try breaking it up. Remember, it only takes twenty-one days to form a habit.

About the Writer
Ryn Wayman, Social Media Coordinator

Keeping it off the chizzain its Ryn, I love acapella singing and chilling at my house. Extremely vain and better than everyone.