Air Academy Celebrates Diversity

Original Photo of AAHS teachers and students wearing purple in support of anti-LGBT bullying

January 19th kicked off the start of diversity week here at Air Academy, taking the time for students of all backgrounds, races, genders, sexual orientations, and personalities to feel acknowledged and accepted. Last year, diversity week included sticky note compliments and tearing down a wall of negative sticky notes. The students wrote their own negative criticisms beforehand in their Konnections classes.

Diversity is becoming increasingly scrutinized from either the lack of or the opposite. This year’s Oscar nominations were released along with immediate disapproval and a boycott from both stars and fans alike because of obvious lack of diversity. Not only is diversity a local celebration but a national one too.

This year, the week started similar to last  with compliments written on sticky notes on every student’s desk as well as a scavenger hunt of good deeds set up by student council with help from Friends of Rachel and the Gay Straight Alliance.

I asked some students who are involved in the Gay Straight Alliance what they thought of diversity week, diversity at our school, and diversity in general. “Everyone has that little thing they’re insecure about and diversity week helps to boost self esteem.” Zoe Bazell said. Teah Gibson told me straight forward that “Variety is bliss.” Clubs such as GSA, Friends of Rachel, Japanese club, and many more are hubs of diversity and cultural awareness here at Air Academy.

The president of GSA, Kat Dowell had this to say about how the gay straight alliance helps to support Air Academy’s students, “I think our GSA is a great place for diversity because it does a great job of making everyone feel included and not making anyone feel lesser.”

The activities throughout diversity week provide opportunities for students to come together and celebrate the diversity at our school. It promotes diversity of every spectrum and creates more inclusion, ensuring that every kid at AAHS feels accepted and comfortable to be themselves.