Title After Title After Title

The air academy girls soccer team posing with their trophy following their 2012 4A state championship win. Photo via Sasha Kandrach

The recent successes of Air Academy High School’s athletic program is quite an outstanding accomplishment when taken into account of Air Academy’s total winnings. The school, which is approaching its 60th anniversary next year, has achieved substantial state titles over the course of those years, more so within the last decade. In total, the Kadets have earned 36 total team athletic state championships. The 36 titles consist of: Baseball (1989), Mens’ Basketball (1989, 2015), Womens’ Basketball (2012), Co-ed Cheerleading (2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009), Womens’ Cheerleading (2010, 2011, 2012), Football (1962), Ice Hockey (1995, 2000, 2005) Mens’ Lacrosse (1990, 1991, 1992), Womens’ Lacrosse (2009, 2012, 2014), Mens’ Swimming and Diving (1993, 1999, 2012, 2013, 2014), Mens’ Soccer (1980,1990, 1992, 2010, 2014), Womens’ Soccer (1992, 2012), Mens’ Tennis (1996, doubles), Mens’ Track and Field (1994, 4×100 relay). Of those 36 state championships, the senior class has both witnessed and contributed to thirteen of those titles, not taking individual state championships into account for that particular statistic. As far as individual state championships within the last four years, the senior class has seen two individual Wrestling titles, an individual Mens’ Tennis title, and one Womens’ Cross Country title, by the Jetstream Journal’s very own Katie Rainsberger. With those titles taken into account, the senior class has been present for a grand total of 17 state titles, all proudly recognized and celebrated by our spirited school.

The surplus of state championships in the past decade, and more specifically the past four years, are certainly memories that shouldn’t be taken for granted. State championships are not typically a common occurrence; many high schools go years without ever achieving the accomplishment and incredible experience they present. Former Athletic Director, Diane Shuck, describes her 19 state championship experiences as, “Each one was special, each one was unique, it’s something that’s very special and uncommon, but very humbling to know that our school was this successful.”  As an athlete myself, who was fortunate enough to participate in the 2012 Womens’ Soccer State Championship, I hold a special appreciation for each title win that I have experienced with the rest of my classmates since my freshmen year. I just hope our fellow students, faculty, parents, and members of the community perceive similar feelings and recognize the rarity and significance of each title accomplished by the Kadets.

Senior Kassady Huffman, who additionally participated with a state winning team, describes the event as “so exciting to accomplish something not a lot of people get to! Every time another sport wins a championship it takes me back to that moment and it’s so awesome our school is able to accomplish so many when it really is a rare thing!”

As our senior class prepares to bid a fond farewell to their Alma Mater, Air Academy as an entirety, let’s duly absorb the amazing efforts of our students, coaches, and teachers who embody the school creed, “It’s a matter of pride.” How could you not be proud of that?