Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Air Academy Spooked Up for Halloween

How the school is deciding to celebrate this holiday!
Mason R. Riddle
Em Phalen wearing a seasonal shirt scaring the photographer.

Halloween is the only holiday that allows everyone to dress up, be scared, and scare others. How do the students and teachers of Air Academy celebrate Halloween?

Many students tend to like to dress up for the season, either to trick or treat or just to get in the spirit of the holiday. For costume creation, there are many ways people tend to make their costumes! Some buy the costume outright, others thrift for it, and some create their costumes from scratch!

“I’m going as ‘Guts’ from Berserk. I made a giant sword just for this costume,” senior Christian Raker said.

Many love the activity of dressing up because it allows them to connect with their friends, family, and partners!

“I’m dressing up as Asa Mitaka from ‘Chainsaw Man’. I’m dressing as her to match with my boyfriend who’s also going as a ‘Chainsaw Man’ character,” senior Makenna (Mak) Redoch gleefully said.

A way to celebrate could be seeing the new and upcoming Five Nights at Freddy’s movie recently came out and it seems that may be how some celebrate this season!

“I’m going to trick-or-treat with my friends Ryan and Kalli and am going to see the new Five Nights at Freddy’s movie,” Raker exclaimed.

Interestingly enough, Raker isn’t the only student who’s going to see this new thrilling horror movie.

“I’m going to be hanging out with my friends and we’re going to watch the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie,” Mak explained.

That’s how students are celebrating outside of school, but some teachers and students are planning on celebrating Halloween in Air Academy.

“ROTC is hosting a party after school. We’re going to be doing a trunk-or-treat and you can bring your siblings,” Raker said.

Some teachers are even planning on incorporating the holiday of Halloween in their lessons.

“I think for sociology we’ll go over a brief history on pagan holidays like Halloween, how people have been inspired to create holidays like this and it’s importance in our culture,” teacher Kade Johnstone said.

Much like the students of Air Academy, some teachers might be celebrating the holiday outside of school as well.

“I’m probably gonna buy some things for my costume and some candy for the kids,” Mr. Johnstone said.

Not all teachers may include Halloween into their curriculum, but most, if not all teachers will also be dressing up for the day!

“I’ve heard some teachers are going to dress silly, but that’s about it. I’m going to be going as ‘The Dude’ from ‘The Big Lebowski’,” Mr. Johnstone said with a grin.

There are some activities both students and teachers would like the school to have to celebrate the day.

“I feel like an assembly would be pretty cool! Or a dance,” Mak exclaimed.

A spooky themed assembly would be very fun, but others with sweet-tooth’s had a different idea.

“I want the school to give out free candy, all the teachers should give out free candy” Raker said hungrily.

Free candy for all students and teachers would be sweet, but Johnstone thinks a celebration for the costumes would be even sweeter.

“I think an award for the best costume would be fun,” Mr. Johnstone declared.

There are various ways to celebrate this spooky season. Trick-or-treating, giving out candy, dressing up, parties, laying low and watching scary movies, and more!

Everyone should find a way to celebrate this amazing holiday both at school and out of school. Make every Halloween celebration count and have every year be better than the last!