Air Academy High School's Student News Publication

Free Lunches Affecting Air Academy High School Students Positively

As the new school year starts, free lunches were introduced to Air Academy that has helped students manage school, stress, and money.
An+abundance+of+students+get+lunch+at+AAHS+to+take+advantage+of+the+free+food%21+
Spencer Carter
An abundance of students get lunch at AAHS to take advantage of the free food!

Air Academy High School has introduced many new features during this new school year. Ehall-pass was newly introduced just this year and has already affected teachers and students. But one significant change to Air Academy has to be its free lunches that help many students eat during the day. 

As students focus on working on schoolwork during the day, fitting in eating may be a struggle when you have to pay to eat. Free meals have a benefit to this since students do not need to focus on bringing money to school and pay attention to their work. 

“Personally, I don’t eat school lunches, but when I did it was a hassle to have to pay for lunches every day. Working and stress would be easier for me in those years if I had free lunch,” junior Samantha Anderson exclaimed. 

Having experience from previous years of school, Anderson understands the hassle of focusing on eating and working during the day. As the new freshman enter their first school year, having free lunch benefits their academics and stress levels. It also positively affects their thoughts on the school day. This leads to better attitudes toward school and work ethic throughout the day. 

“Working in general during a school day is draining, but not worrying about lunch can let me relax and worry about other things I have to do,” freshman Austin Alexander declared.  

As a freshman coming into his first year of high school, Alexander finds it useful to try and remember to complete class work and other things instead of worrying about bringing money to school for lunches.

In addition to the perks of eating for free during a school day, this feature of the new school year can help students save their money instead of wasting it on food. Free food can benefit students with work, but also helps the students and their families financially. 

“I wouldn’t really like spending money every day for food, so it helps me save my money for items that have more value to me,” freshman Juliet Diehl states.  

Being able to save instead of paying to eat allows flexibility to high school students whose pockets are normally pretty tight with money. Free lunch can also help a family if they are struggling with money and need to pay for other necessities. While all of this helps the students, teachers can be affected positively from the many students coming back from lunch. Since students can always get lunch, coming to class after lunch can be optimizing with a full stomach. 

“Sometimes I wouldn’t be able to get lunch, and I had weights after, so I usually couldn’t lift like I wanted to,” sophomore Trent Oberosler declared. 

Eating free lunch impacts students in many ways. Oberosler can focus on his weight class instead of focusing on an empty stomach.

These free lunches are helping students at Air Academy financially, academically, and physically. Free lunch helps the school in general to keep up the good maintenance and function efficiently throughout the entire school day!