What is the Big Deal With Hammocking?

Seniors Emily Gregerson, Gabrielle Robinson, and Ruth Evilsizer toss hammocks inside an REI Co-op, feeling excited to hang their new hammock up.

Foliage on the trees sways as you swing back and forth in tune with the breeze. Everything is at peace; nothing is better than soaking in the sunshine with friends. You remain unbothered, listening to the sounds of birds whistling and a babbling brook.

Nothing can top this feeling. 

How do you capture that sensation? There’s one activity that captures the tranquility of basking in the light of a warm day:

Hammocking.

What’s that, you might ask?

Hammocking is a popular activity for many people in Colorado. All you have to do is find something to hold yourself up, whether that be a tree, a rock or patio supports, simply hang up the hammock of your choice to kick back and relax.

Hammocking culture continues to grow and expand in Colorado due to its relaxed and outdoor-oriented population. The nature-centered activity reminds everyone how beautiful the world around us is and remains extremely popular for college students, young adults, and anyone interested in “kicking back.”

Between having quiet time with oneself, or having a bunch of friends crammed into a hammock, the possibilities are endless.

When there is the option of getting fresh air and taking in the beauty of nature and then staying inside all day, why wouldn’t someone want to experience the great outdoors?

“I hammock because it is a great time to get friends together and relax and enjoy outside,” said junior Faith Beard.

Hammocking is a great excuse to bring all of your friends together in a raw and genuine environment. Everyone can crack jokes, bond, and you will be able to get to know each other much more personally.

“I believe hammocking is very peaceful and can be super healing to our mental health. I LOVE conversations, and in a hammock, they are even better,” said junior Dessie Daye.

Although it is a great way to bring all your friends together, time alone is just as important. Hammocking makes that easy to do.

Beard said, “I also love hammocking on my own, so I can take a breath from everything and be able to have time to myself. I typically journal, do a little Bible study, et cetera.”

Not only is hammocking just something to do to pass time on the weekends, but there are also communities forming left and right.

Nearby in Boulder, Colorado, hammocks are suspended over creeks, at public parks, and even found on back porches of apartments belonging to the University of Colorado students.

In addition to CU Boulder, Colorado State University in Fort Collins is another great environment for such a groundbreaking new hobby.

You do not have to be a college student in order to hammock. This activity has no age restriction and remains open to any and everyone interested.

Outside of colleges, Facebook groups are also encouraging others to grab a hammock and experience a sensation that trumps any other.

Although it is a great way to take advantage of the world around us, we have to be very careful we are not damaging everything we leave behind.

Junior Jett Neubacher claims, “If hammocks are used irresponsibly, there can be serious damage to trees.”

As a community, we must remember to “leave no trace” while venturing outside. Working as a team, each of us must be mindful as to not disturb all the other life around us, so natural beauty stands strong for others to experience.

This is just another reason we should hammock in more places around us, such as other buildings or even play structures.

Hammocks sit on a large shelf in REI Co-op.

Hammocks can be found almost anywhere, such as REI, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, and other outdoor businesses. Multiple department stores are places one should check for hammocks as well, such as Walmart.

However, some people were able to grab their own from special places, such as the GoPro Mountain Games in Vail, Colorado or online from Backcountry. It is not mandatory to go out of your way for them; nevertheless, it does make for an interesting story.

Daye said, “At GoPro Mountain Game, it is a festival where you can see snowboarders and skiers show off. There are also a ton of vendors selling everything from coffee and food to hiking boots and hammocks!”

The selection of hammocks will increase and improve while the temperature becomes warmer, although it could be just as much fun to bundle up with layers, and blankets.

Senior Ruth Evilsizer and Rock Canyon High School senior Courtenay Krause enjoy a day hammocking in Malibu, Canada.