Winter Sports Overview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Overview

Basketball Player Brock Bendrick at the Three Point Contest in 2017. Original Photo.

Calvin Yocum

As our fall seasons have come to a close, one can look back and be very proud of the successes of our Kadet fall teams. All but one of the squads were able to advance into their respective playoff seasons, and the boys soccer team was able to win the state championship! But this success won’t satisfy our schools lust for success in every sport we participate in. The winter season is upon us, and Kadet sports are looking just as strong as always!

Boys Basketball

Coming off of a tough season in the 2016-2017 school year, our boys basketball is looking nowhere but up. A core group of players that has been together for several seasons now has the spotlight, and their chemistry is starting to show. Niko Lunt and Brock Bendrick are leading the scoring, although the entire team is contributing well to the Kadet’s score. With a 3-2 record at the moment, the season is looking bright for the boys basketball team.

Girls Basketball

The Lady Kadets had a fantastic season last year, making it to the second round of playoffs. This season, the team has lost two starters from the year before, but the up and coming players will be able to step into the roles with ease. Seniors Mary Parchinski and Kat Blackstein are helping to lead the team with experience, with the help of underclassmen like Liza Louthan and Zoe Sims. The Ladies have a 3-0 record and will look to make another deep playoff run this year.

Swimming and Diving 

As our Kadets jump back into the water for another season of swim and dive, many of the team’s members look to streamline into the playoffs. Though the season is still in its beginning stages, girls swimmers Aleksandra Olesiak, Paris Binard, and Marie Cloonan have already qualified for state with their impressive times. On the boys side, 3 year Varsity swimmer Griffin Ayotte looks to advance far into playoffs and make a run at the state championship. With a 1-2 record so far, the rest of the season will be exciting for our Kadet Swim Team.

Wrestling

Our Kadet Wrestling team has always produced a handful of state placers each year, and hopefully this season will be no different than before. Senior leader Jason Hanenberg has made a run at state every year, and this year will be looking to take home the state championship. Fellow Senior James Benson will be looking to end his high school career on a high note as well.

Our winter athletes will be working hard this season to help lead their respective teams to victory. Their skill will take them very far, but the support and cheers from their fellow students will help give them the extra push of energy that they need, so make sure to go to our winter sporting events this season!

About the Writer
Calvin Yocum, Poll Manager

I am Calvin Yocum. I am the expert of all poll related operations at the Jetstream Journal. I'm currently in my senior year, and I play basketball and...