CU vs. CSU: The Ultimate Rivalry

Growing up in Colorado, many of us don’t ever want to leave the state, and who could blame us? With the Rocky Mountains hugging our home, there’s physical beauty surrounding us and the beauty of a certain culture resonating within our community. Although there is a united pride of being from ColoRADo, there is one classic rivalry that’s deep-rooted between residents: University of Colorado Boulder (CU) vs. Colorado State University (CSU). Both public universities that are located just about an hour away from each other, the two schools offer unique cultures of their own. Some opt for the more urban and bigger CU and others prefer the homeliness and small-town feel offered by CSU. So, which side are you on?

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 9.39.59 PM

CU: Surrounded by the Flatirons and the hippie culture of Boulder, CU is right in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Proudly repping black and gold alongside their mascot Chip, Buffs can hang out on Farrand Field, enjoy sports games from the stadium located directly in the middle of campus, and even hit the 11 slopes surrounding the town on weekends. Located just 40 minutes from Red Rocks Ampitheatre, students can choose to stay on campus and get involved in over 450 student clubs and organizations (including more than 40 fraternities and sororities) or venture to the local towns for a change of scenery. One drawback to CU is that it’s more expensive compared to CSU, even for those in-state. The annual estimated cost per year is just over $26,000 for CO residents and $49,000 for out-of-state.

Quick facts:
-Part of the NCAA Division 1 Pac-12 Conference
-Ranked 89 in 2016 edition of Best Colleges and National Universities
-88% acceptance rate (although traditionally more difficult to get into than CSU)
-Undergraduate enrollment: 30, 265
-18:1 student to faculty ratio
-Most popular programs: Integrative Physiology, Psych, Communication, Physics
-Only school in the Rocky Mountain Region to make it into the Association of American Universities, an elite group of 62 research universities
-#1 four-year graduation rate for Colorado public universities

Jessica McNulty, a member of the AAHS Yearbook staff, is ecstatic to be joining the Buff family next Fall. “I absolutely love the atmosphere in Boulder. It’s just so positive and relaxed. CU has great programs and even better people. I liked CSU and all, but CU was a much better fit for me! P.S., it sucks to be a CSU Ram.”

Colorado-State-University

CSU: Located in cute Fort Collins, CSU has more of a laid back atmosphere compared to the vibrancy of Boulder. Decked out in green and gold, Rams (with their mascot Cam) can enjoy staying on campus to engage in over 350 student clubs and organizations (including 35 fraternities and sororities) or spend time in Fort Collins’ downtown area. Originally founded as the Colorado Agricultural College, CSU is the state’s land grant university and provides much of the money received to students for financial aid. For this reason, costs are traditionally lower than at CU; the estimated annual cost per year before scholarship is $25,000 for in-state and $42,600 for out-of-state. The Fort Collins equation consists of region, geography, and philosophy: all aspects to ensure that once you become a Ram, you become a part of an inclusive community.

Quick facts:
-Part of the NCAA Division 1 Mountain West Conference
-Ranked 127 in 2016 edition of Best Colleges and National Universities
-77% acceptance rate (although traditionally easier to get into than CU)
-Undergraduate enrollment: 23, 858
-16:1 student to faculty ratio
-Most popular programs: Biology, Psychology, Human Development

Ali Law, also a member of the AAHS Yearbook staff, has always known that CSU was the school for her. “I love Fort Collins! And they have a really great dance team and fashion merchandising program.”

Looking for outside perspectives, two current seniors from out-of-state weighed in on their outlook of the two schools and what they knew about them. Hannah Dalsheim from Virginia shared, “CU Boulder is really pretty and seems to have so much school spirit; I definitely considered applying at the beginning of the application process. I’ve never even heard of Colorado State TBH.” Jillian Axelrod from New York added, “I also have no knowledge about CSU besides that it’s in Colorado. I have one school friend that currently attends CU Boulder and says that she’s beyond happy with her choice.”

AAHS juniors also weighed in on what they thought of the two schools. Lucy Guiberson said, “I would choose CSU because it’s not too big and it’s in a better and homier town [than CU]. CU just feels too big and not comforting.” Marsha Shonka agreed stating, “When given the choice between CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins I would have to choose CSU. In my opinion CSU seems like a place that everyone can really feel at home. I find that it’s important because college is a place that you will have the opportunity to meet amazing people that can change your life. When going onto the CSU campus, the people are very welcoming and nothing is too overwhelming. CU seems much larger and not a place I could see myself spending all of my time. These are both great schools, but CSU is the better choice for me.”

If you’re leaning toward a more urban, spirited school then maybe CU is for you. Looking for a more home-like feel in a smaller community? CSU might just be your fit. So, whether you decide to “Be Boulder” or you choose to “Find Your State,” we’re lucky to have such incredible schools to choose from. And ultimately, we’re all ColoRADans at the end of the day.