Getting the Job

Photo labeled for reuse via the wikimedia creative commons license.

In high school, having extra pocket change makes everything from going off to lunch to being able to fill your gas tank much less stressful.  Some student’s families require they hold a job for financial reasons while others just want extra dollars in their wallets, but regardless of the reason, job searching may seem like an intimidating chore.  With a paycheck, however, students have the independence to save up for college or to empty their wallets at Chipotle.  Getting a job doesn’t have to be as impossible as it seems and can become a reality with a little confidence and some trial and error.  If you have the sinking feeling you should be job hunting, here are some tips to find the job, get the job, and keep it balanced with your busy life.  You’ll be grateful for the effort you put into the task when you don’t need to borrow money from friends anymore, plus you’ll learn life skills that you never knew you needed.

The first step to getting hired is building a resume.  This may be that one thing you’re putting off, but spending an hour or less compiling all of the accomplishments that have made life crazy for the past few years means getting it over with for college applications (which will look so much better with job experience!).  More than that, it doesn’t have to be hard.  Linked below are 275 templates that you only need to fill out in order to check the first box in your job hunt.  Be sure to include your basic personal information and keep it concise to what kinds of jobs you’re applying for (i.e. food service, retail, child care, etc.).  No matter what, play up your ability to work with people as well as any volunteer experience.  You don’t have to be a social butterfly to give good customer service, but highlight your dependability to work with people.  This can be as simple as, “JV Softball, 3 years, Team captain with leadership responsibilities” or as specific as “High Trails Counselor, worked with children and alongside staff to teach at an outdoor camp for 6th graders.”  An employer just wants a snap shot of who you are and if you will help them make money.  Keep in mind that most businesses hire people they know will do well on their “team,” so your qualifications might be perfect for talking to customers at Old Navy but not for speedy meal assembly at Noodles & Company.  If anything, a resume adds a level of professionalism to your job application regardless of if it is required by the employer.  A resume is just plain good to have on hand, but make sure to utilize spell check and keep it simple.

Click this link and type your resume away: https://www.themuse.com/advice/275-free-resume-templates-you-can-use-right-now

Now that you have your resume, it’s time to put out some applications.  It’s helpful to start by dipping your toes in the water and searching online.  Snagajob.com assembles collections of local job openings; however, the lists can be endless and not always reliable.  All in all, it provides possibilities.  You could look into becoming anything from a gym employee to a barista, but you won’t know until you start sending out applications.

Most applications are done online.  Speaking from a personal standpoint, I was getting ice cream at Cold Stone with friends one night and decided to apply on my phone while we sat there.  A few weeks later, I got the call for an interview.  Although this isn’t the only way to get hired, it goes to show that job hunting can be as easy as hitting send.  While this isn’t always the case, one of the best things you can begin to do is venture out to the stores themselves around their opening times when the managers are generally working.

On a weekend in the near future, it would be beneficial to block out a morning and visit as many stores as you can to ask 1) if they’re hiring, and 2) if they wouldn’t mind taking a resume to show their manager.  Speaking from personal experience again, anyone who comes into Cold Stone in the morning is way more likely to catch me at a good time to talk about the hiring process.  It’s completely normal to get a highschooler asking about a job, and most of my co-workers were hired this way.  If they have a resume and seem to be a friendly person, I tell them to fill out the application online.  Most places have their applications available on their website, so filling that out ahead of time gives you an advantage.  If that’s the case, I will take the resume and/or printed application and write a note about my impression of them for my boss to read if he isn’t already in the store.  My boss will most likely give that individual a call, but wouldn’t know to do so unless there was a hard copy of their resume to show their qualifications and desire to get the job.  Remember that the people behind the counter are people just like you who got hired the same way you might, so ask questions and show them your pretty smile.  The best recommendation you can get is from someone who already works at the establishment.

It’s likely your interview would come up in one to two weeks if you offer your resume to a few institutions.  Don’t take this time gap as a rejection, but be aware that depending on the time of year and circumstance, employment opportunities open up randomly. It’s like you’re putting out a net and seeing which fish swims your way.  Continue to follow up with your application in person, and be respectfully persistent.  For the time being, don’t stress!  Play getting a job by ear, which can be as simple as casually asking the cashier at Chick-fil-A about getting hired while you pay for your chicken sandwich.

On a random day at a random time, you’ll most likely get a call setting up an interview.  Schedule a time right away and again, don’t stress.  The interview may be the most important part of getting a job, but it doesn’t have to be intimidating.  Do dress up because looking your best exudes confidence and being put together.  Walk in, shake the interviewer’s hand, and make some eye contact.

First impressions sell the interview in any scenario.  According to Jerry Davis, a medical facility employer in California, “Initially I look to see if they shake my hand or not.  I think it shows a lot of professionalism and respect.  The other thing I look for right off the bat is eye contact.  If the person is scattered and looking around, I get the impression that they’re half there, half not.  Also, I see if they interrupt me during the interview.  Using as few words as possible but a really nice answer is always good.  A lot of people think about the basic stuff, but what I look for the most is what most people have no clue I’m looking for.”

Essentially, be yourself and remain calm.  If you’re worried about answering questions on the spot, here are some sample interview questions you can draw inspiration from: http://www.careeronestop.org/jobsearch/interview/common-interview-questions.aspx.

Additionally, call to mind some experiences you’ve had in working as a team, like that time you led your sports team to victory with the power of teamwork or that other time you problem solved with your difficult partner on a lit project.  Compile stories from your past volunteer or work experience to draw examples from.  If you’re respectful, professional, and collected, the interviewer will consider you for whatever position you’ve applied for.

Students aged 16 – 18 are some of the largest consumer markets for clothing and fast food companies due to the ability to hold a job while being exempt from paying most living expenses.  With your dashing good looks and outstanding personality, you’re sure to land a job in no time.  Know that most bosses are understanding that high schoolers have busy schedules and therefore commonly allow their younger employees to work only two to four times a week.  This still fills your piggy bank while balancing with your tight schedule.

Remember that to get a job, persistence is key.  Don’t give up and go get that occupation.  College applications will look more impressive, your wallet will be happier, and you’ll learn vital people skills that extend beyond the visor and speedy cash register skills.