Back to the Future: High School Edition

The timelessness of high school

Once a Kadet, always a Kadet

Once a Kadet, always a Kadet

High School: Some students will soar; others will float by; for a select few, it’s all just a failed experiment. Secondary education is four years of government mandated preparation for the “real world,” whatever that means. More specifically, it consists of structured schedules with classes that need to be taken in various categories in order to graduate, whether that subject is interesting to the student or not. Get the credit? Get the diploma. Fight the system? Fight on the streets after dropping out.

But academics aren’t the only part of high school that matters–arguably they’re the least important. What truly makes high school special is the stereotypical role that it plays as the coming-of-age gateway for all teens. Whether it’s 1980 or 2015, brewing teenage sub-culture, the stress of growing up, and the roller coaster of elation and heartbreak will inevitably be waiting for you.

Air Academy is a perfect example of the timelessness that high school offers. While the physical layout of the school has expanded since AAHS was founded 58 years ago, the experiences within the building have remained consistent. Many teachers here at Air Academy proudly wore silver and blue during their youth, just like us. 4 life-long Kadets were interviewed and shared a little about their first four years on the base. See if you can match Ms. Austgen, Mr. Meisinger, Mrs. Morgan, and Mr. Hillstrom to their experiences as AAHS students.

Teacher #1:
Graduation year: 1991
Best HS memory: First kiss under the bleachers of the K-Dome
Most challenging part of HS: When his/her lab partner, Tony Babineaux, committed suicide during Junior year
AAHS similarity now vs. then: Unique quality of attending school on a military base, drinking and doing drugs has stayed consistent.
AAHS difference now vs. then: Teachers are less trusting, specifically with testing. Teachers don’t give students the benefit of the doubt as much as they used to.
Whether HS is timeless or not: Yes. “Being awkward, figuring out who you are, having teachers be mean to you: it’s all part of the timeless experience. Although, I feel sorry for people that this is the highlight of their life; there’s gotta be more than this too.”

Teacher #2:
Graduation year: 1982
Best HS memory: Playing on sports teams, specifically hockey
Most challenging part of HS: When he/she had to sing the fight song alone in front of the whole cafeteria during Sophomore year
AAHS similarity now vs. then: Unique quality of attending school on a military base
AAHS difference now vs. then: Kadet pride was stronger back in the day
Whether HS is timeless or not: Yes. “Everyone goes through the experience of growing up and becoming who they are. That’ll never change.”

Teacher #3:
Graduation year: 1978
Best HS memory: Playing on 3 sports teams (football, basketball, and baseball)
Most challenging part of HS: Math
AAHS similarity now vs. then: School is relatively small/connected, has a homey feel
AAHS difference now vs. then: Bigger building, more clubs and sports offered now
Whether HS is timeless or not: Yes. “It doesn’t matter what experiences you’ve had; good or bad, you’ll always have the memories.”

Teacher #4:
Graduation year: 1992
Best HS memory: Having a courtyard water gun fight during Sophomore year
Most challenging part of HS: Getting up in the morning
AAHS similarity now vs. then: Many strong programs that have remained consistent, such as the school newspaper and the band
AAHS difference now vs. then: New building, different schedule (7 period day instead of 8)
Whether HS is timeless or not: Yes. “I wouldn’t say it’s the best time in someone’s life, but there are things in high school that you experience that make you who you are for the rest of your life.”

Each of their stories echoes the timeline that all 14-18-year-old’s go through: The awkwardness of discovering yourself (physically, mentally, and emotionally), and becoming the person in which you’ll set out to be for the rest of your life. No matter what classes you take, friend group you’re in, or which extra-curricular activities you engage in, everyone will travel down this more or less similar path.

So whether high school has provided you with your first kiss like Ms. Austgen (Teacher #1), you play sports like Mr. Meisinger (Teacher #2), you hate math like Mr. Hillstrom (Teacher #3), or you struggle to wake up in the morning like Mrs. Morgan (Teacher #4), we all have things that stand out to us about the memories we’re making at AAHS.

High school can be a whirlwind of excitement, emotions, and experiences. Whether students are college-bound, shaping up for the military, career driven, or settling into a gap year, these decisions all stemmed from the calculated formula we all call “high school.” No matter whether you attended Air Academy High School 50 years ago, 25 years ago, or today, you’re engaging in new things, having fun, and discovering who you are. So for the Freshmen who have four years left, appreciate what you have waiting in front of you. For the Seniors with one semester to go, don’t let it rush past you because who knows where we’ll all be in a few short months. No matter what you learn throughout your high school years, we can all agree on one thing: time really does fly. And hey, even if high school isn’t your thing, don’t worry: you have your whole life ahead of you.