Falcons, and Tigers, and Buffaloes… Oh My!

A graduation celebration at the United States Air Force Academy: http://militarybases.com/colorado/air-force-academy/

Many students here at Air Academy High School want to stay in state for college, but don’t know about all the options Colorado has to offer. For those of us who want to stay close to home, options aren’t limited. In fact, some of the top rated colleges in the United States call our state home.

• The United States Air Force Academy

Rated number 34 on Forbes America’s Top 100 Colleges list, USAFA is a military academy located just north of Colorado Springs with an acceptance rate of 9.9% as of 2014. Tuition for the Air Force Academy, along with room and board, are all paid for by the U.S. government. In return for free tuition, graduates of the Academy serve as commissioned officers in the Air Force for a minimum of eight years after graduation, five of which must be active duty, and the remainder can be served as inactive reserve. USAFA not only provides rigorous military training, but an extensive core curriculum including subjects from engineering to social sciences. Joining the Air Force Academy is not a decision to be taken lightly, and you can’t just quit if you decide you don’t like it. You are signing a contract and taking an oath to your country. So before applying to USAFA, make sure it fits in with your plans and goals for the future.

• Colorado College

The Colorado College Campus
    The Colorado College Campus

Besides the Air Force Academy, Colorado College is the only other college from our state that has made its way to number 51 of the Forbes Top 100 list. CC is a private, four-year, co-educational, liberal arts and sciences college in Colorado Springs. With an acceptance rate of 18% as of 2014, CC is known for its historical background, unique block plan, and exceptional academics. CC offers more than 80 majors, minors, and specialized programs, and goes about classes in a way most universities don’t. At Colorado College, students take only one class at a time. Students will focus on only one subject for 3 ½ weeks, rather than taking several at once throughout the semester. In between blocks, students have four days to relax before another block starts up. With this plan, students have four blocks a semester, which comes to thirty-two total blocks taken throughout four years at CC. However, CC is much more than just academics. Boasting over 100 clubs and activities, Colorado College is an artsy school with a fun environment that teaches its students to be adventurous and environmentally friendly. Keep in mind, it’s also known for its selectiveness and high cost, so study up and get those scholarships if you think CC is the school for you.

• Colorado School of Mines

The Colorado School of Mines is located in Golden, Colorado, and since it was founded in 1873, it has become the most selective public institution in Colorado. CSM is devoted to engineering and applied science, and placed 91st in the 2014 US News and World Report “Best National Universities” ranking, with an acceptance rate of 37.4% for the class of 2016. CSM hosts the E-days (or Engineering Days) celebration each spring semester, which is a three-day festival that begins with students collectively pulling an ore cart 7.5 miles to the Colorado State Capitol in downtown Denver. Freshmen at the Colorado School of Mines are expected, but not required, to participate in the M-Climb. During this climb, students carry a ten-pound rock brought from their hometown up Mt. Zion. Students take great pride in this process as it symbolizes the struggle they endure at the school to reach their goals. If you’re interested in studying science and mathematics while having fun and receiving a quality education, the Colorado School of Mines is for you!

• University of Colorado-Boulder

The University of CU-Boulder is one of the most well-respected institutions in the Rocky Mountains. CU-Boulder receives a generous amount of NASA funding, which contributes to its applied science research activities. Divided into several colleges and schools, CU-Boulder houses the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and more. Most, if not all, of the colleges and schools at CU-Boulder incorporate masters and doctorate level degree programs. The University of Colorado-Boulder had an acceptance rate of 83.6% as of 2014, which is promising for prospective students. Located in the beautiful and unique city of Boulder, CU-Boulder has it all.

• University of Denver

The University of Denver is a private, independent institution, and is the oldest private university in the Rocky Mountain Region of the United States. With an acceptance rate of 67.6% as of 2014, DU offers more than 100 undergraduate programs of study, and more than 120 graduate and professional programs. DU’s main focus is the community, and so the University of Denver offers rigorous programs that emphasize critical thinking and global experience, helping to create productive citizenship. DU strives to create “a diverse, ethical and intellectually vibrant campus community to provide a challenging and liberating learning environment.” If you want to get involved with activities in your community, and are interested in hands-on learning experiences, the University of Denver may be the school for you.

Students should never feel like there aren’t enough choices for college here in Colorado. As you can see, these colleges have a wide range of academics and extracurricular activities for different students with different interests, making the universities of Colorado some of the best schools in the nation. So for those of us who aren’t ready to leave this beautiful state, stay a while. Adventures are waiting for you, and you don’t even have to leave home.