Is Cyberpunk 2077 worth playing?

A person casually holding a white Xbox controller while playing a video game. Labeled for reuse by Unsplash.

A little more than a year ago, Cyberpunk 2077 was set to come out during April of 2020 but was then delayed multiple times. Luckily, it was finally released at the beginning of December of last year and fans were rushing to get their hands on it. However, it left most people with mixed thoughts. 

Air Academy High School sophomore Langston Ball is one of those people. 

Ball explained, “I think that the game needs to be fixed and it was a disappointment. I enjoyed it a little because it was fun and different but I must admit that it got boring quickly.”

Cyberpunk 2077 was the most anticipated game in 2020. So, for it to have many issues like not saving and low framerates is a complete let-down. Quinten Pollard, a sophomore at Lewis-Palmer High School, had high hopes for the game. 

I expected it to be a game that came from the heavens so much so that it would ultimately change the gaming landscape,” said Pollard. 

Although the chances of it having a big impact on the gaming industry are long gone, its developer, CD Project Red has been releasing small updates here and there that have made the game somewhat bearable. 

Pollard added, “Now I think the game is decent at best, I mean the nostalgia and hype I built and layered over the years helps me keep playing it but if I never heard of the game and then played it I would’ve immediately dropped the game altogether.”

As one who has never played Cyberpunk and has only heard of it late last year, I was very intrigued when I first came upon the trailer that made exciting promises that included how the game would run smoothly in an open-world setting with NPCs that have their own routines and actions.

Sadly none of those were fulfilled. Despite that, do players recommend it?

Yes, but only on the next-generation consoles,” suggested Ball.

Nope not one bit,” stated Pollard.

I would have to agree with both Ball and Pollard. It does perform more efficiently on the next-generation console, the Xbox Series X, which is a complete letdown since I happen to own an Xbox One but it is important to keep in mind that even next-gen has problems. Also, with how many bugs Cyberpunk has I think that Pollard’s response is understandable.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on this game, but with the updates soon to come, I predict that in the future this game will be more playable and perhaps it’ll be worth sixty dollars. At the end of the day, it’s up to consumers, but I do hope that anyone who purchases it has fun.