Filed under Activities

The History of Dance Crazes

Back to Article
Back to Article

The History of Dance Crazes

People let loose, by dancing.

People let loose, by dancing.

People let loose, by dancing.

People let loose, by dancing.

Humans have been dancing for as long as they have existed. It is a way to let go and have fun, which explains why dances are so popular in high school.

Today at a normal school dance, there are tons of different dance moves being initiated. Most come from the popular game Fortnite, which has over 100 dances and emotes in the game.

Before Fortnite and modern dance moves, the music industry was responsible for the creation of dance crazes.

Many believe that dance crazes became popular when the pop music industry blew up in the late 1950s. Some of the first dance moves, like the Chicken, the Twist, or the Hitchhike, are less recognizable today, but they still remain prevalent.

When the 1970s came around, dance moves were beginning to be published in dance and teen magazines. That, combined with disco popularized moves among teens, spawned fads that are more recognizable nowadays, such as the YMCA.

The 80s and 90s produced the “Walk Like An Egyptian” dance and the Macarena.

After that comes the good stuff: The 2010’s.

Opening up for the 2010s is the Cat Daddy. This 2011 move was made famous by the Californian group the Rej3cets (the most 2011 name ever).

Next up is a craze that everyone and their mama remembers: the Harlem Shake. This move starts with one person dancing and then when the bass drops everyone goes crazy.

2014 was a great year for the music and dance industry. J.cole dropped his most successful album ever, “2014 forest hills drive” and Bobby Shmurda blessed us with the Schmoney dance. Months after Shmurda blew up for inventing this move, he was arrested.

2015 was another year that brought another craze. This move was simple but people ate it up: Silentó gave us the Whip/Nae Nae. In the same year, the Dab was brought into existence (unfortunately).

If you were alive in 2015 you witnessed the Dab. Heck if you were alive in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 you have witnessed the Dab.

2016 introduced the world to Milly Rock. It was a move that originated in New York and spread to every suburban kid’s dance move arsenal. The Milly Rock was also one of the campaign slogans for Junior Milly Mollica this year.

In 2017, the 5’4 rapper Lil Uzi Vert introduced us to his shoulder roll. That is all the move is simply a shoulder roll.  Ayo and Teo also released party songs with their own dance videos added to them, with moves in them like the Rolli Rolli dance.

2o18 was the year that the dance craze population was polluted by Fortnite. Kids consumed these dance moves like candy. Some of the most popular moves consist of the Orange Justice, the Floss, and the Fresh (which is literally the Carlton from the 90s).

The last year in our long journey of dance crazes is 2019. The only significant move invented this year is the Whoa, a perfect move to hit on a bass drop.

Want to see some modern dancing? Check out sophomore Dan Olivares, who claims that he’s the best dancer in the school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NpBn7ahHPY&feature=youtu.be
About the Writer
Jonnie Moore, Journalist

Hey! I'm Jonnie Moore and I am in 10th grade at Air Academy High School. I love to play baseball and basketball and I play for the school as well as outside...