Kadets Rock DECA State

The phrase, “When am I ever going to use this?” in school is used a copious amount of times and the controversy of what qualifies as useful knowledge in schools is a pressing topic of discussion for kids and teachers everywhere. However, an organization/class called DECA might be able to save the day.

DECA is an elective at Air Academy that focuses on real world applications of business skills in marketing, finance, hospitality, management and entrepreneurship.

Sophomore Pearl Yocum, who attended DECA state, explains, “My favorite part about DECA is building new friendships and memories all the while learning about business and being able to take information and apply it to real life situations.”

DECA offers many opportunities for business role play and marketing practice with several different medias. Some of the incredible opportunities offered through the DECA class are the DECA competitions. These competitions are available to anyone in the class and, if qualified, students may progress on to DECA state competitions and later to nationals.

Colorado’s DECA state competition was held from February 24-26 at the Broadmoor hotel where students spent the competed and spent the night.

Junior Eliza Tripp described the average day at DECA state this year. “My partner and I roomed together and we woke up early, got ready in business attire and then we went to our first role play of the day,” she stated.

Tripp continued, “After our first role play, we met up with the other students and went to lunch. After lunch we preformed a second role play and had downtime for a few hours until dinner, an all state event and bedtime.”

An average role play consists of a 25 minutes of prep time to prepare for a mock scenario depending on your event, then you present to one or two judges for 13 minutes. Next, you are evaluated and judged for your business performance.

Air Academy produced seven state qualifiers including seniors Bridget Newsome, Emily Netherland, Jack Newsome, Baylee Barnes, Taylor Hoff and Thomas Beatty. Juniors Hayley Payne, Eliza Tripp, Will Markworth and Carter Wood placed as well.

A weekend at DECA state leaves Kadets full of experience, fun and practice for the real business world.

Senior Thomas Beatty explains how DECA has affected him, “It prepares you really well for future interviews while also teaching you marketing vocabulary and strategies. It teaches you basic business finance and also how to conduct yourself professionally. It gives me insight into where you want to go with the rest of your life.”

As Beatty explains, DECA is designed to stimulate real world business situations. It gives students early on experience and tools to use in the business world, skills that are in high demand.

With the next year of classes right around the corner, keep DECA in mind and explore the many challenges and experiences that it has to hold.