Filed under Opinion

It’s Never too Early for Christmas

Christmas music before Thanksgiving helps make the holiday season last longer!
Image courtesy of  me.me.com

Christmas music before Thanksgiving helps make the holiday season last longer! Image courtesy of me.me.com

As we enter and pass through the different seasons and start to transition into winter, it’s time to experience a different feeling with the crisp air and the brisk snow. Once the month of October starts to come to an end, people begin to prepare for a very important part of the year. Without this exciting period, the year would become dull and there would be nothing to look forward to.

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year; everything about it makes it better than every other holiday or part of the year. Whether it is the snow, music, trees, lights, drinks, presents or time off school, Christmas should be first on everybody’s list.

It is extremely important to start celebrating Christmas early. Otherwise, it all passes by way too quickly. October is the countdown month, and the day after Halloween should start the beginning of Christmas music, lights, trees and movies.

“I personally love Christmas. It’s a great time of the year to spread holiday cheer and it is my favorite holiday of the year,” said sophomore Macey Ruiz.

If the celebration doesn’t start right after Halloween, then the whole experience goes by way too fast and people have to wait a full year to celebrate it again. This way, there are at least two months to prepare for this amazing holiday. Christmas is something to start looking forward to around August and then properly start to celebrate in October.

Some feel that the celebrating should be limited.

“Christmas is a special time of the year; therefore, it should only be celebrated in December because it makes it more special,” stated sophomore Kendal Smith.

I still believe Christmas needs more time.

Halloween and Thanksgiving are two holidays that really prepare for Christmas. They aren’t as good as Christmas, but they sure set that mood. Every time Thanksgiving comes up, my instinct is to automatically think about Christmas and start to get excited. One other bonus with Christmas is that students get two and a half weeks off of school.

Christmas has provided so many great memories for me as well. It will be a great memory of mine picking out a Christmas tree each year and decorating it with my family. Every Christmas Eve we watch Christmas Vacation as a family and that is something that I will carry on to my family one day.

One of the biggest controversies surrounding Christmas is how early Christmas music can be played. The correct time to start listening is immediately after the month of October. This is a transition month from season to season and should mark the start of Christmas celebrations. Christmas music creates great moods and just overall makes people happier. There is no such thing as getting tired of Christmas music, as that is a myth. There are so many different types of songs as well as most of this music was created years ago, yet it is still very popular today. Christmas music has a different effect on listeners than just regular music.

“My favorite part about Christmas is the music. It really adds a whole other level to the holiday and it is perfectly okay to listen before Thanksgiving,” stated junior Kate Farhart.

It is always a sad feeling when the middle of January hits and it’s time to realize Christmas is over. Even though I have experienced fifteen separate Christmas holidays, it is something that will never get tiring and should always be celebrated as early as possible.

About the Writer
Kate Pearne, Journalist

Hi, my name is Kate Pearne, I am a sophomore at Air Academy High School. I play varsity lacrosse and hope to play all four years. I enjoy going up to Keystone...