Athletes of the Month – Makaela Powilleit and Tobin Morse

Makaela Powilleit- CheerleadingIMG_4117new

How long have you been cheering/doing gymnastics?

I started gymnastics when I was three and began cheer going into freshman year.

What did you do to prepare for the season?

Over the past summer I ran every day to get myself in shape for the upcoming season.

Do you want to cheer in college?

Yes, I hope to be able to cheer in college while still attending a good academic school.

Who is your role model and why?

My coach because she always pushes me to try harder.

Do you work out to music? What is your favorite genre?

Yes, my favorite is any type of pop music.

What is your favorite team to watch?

The Rockies!

Would you rather cheer outside or inside?

I would rather cheer inside to keep cool and train on the proper mats.

Tobin Morse- FootballIMG_4116new

When did you start football?

Ever since I was a little kid I have loved watching and playing football wearing my Michigan jersey on game day and playing in my blue room with my brother, Tabor. Then in 3rd grade I was allowed to play competitive sports and I played flag football for 4 years. Then in 7th grade, I was allowed to play tackle football. I had never actually hit anybody with pads on so I was pretty pathetic. I got cut from the IS football team in 7th grade, and in 8th grade I played about 5 snaps of IS football. Then in between 8th grade and 9th I grew like 5 inches or something ridiculous and coach told me I was starting the first game of the season and I started every game I have played since then.

What did you do to prepare for this past football season?

Over the summer I did summer weights, but I broke my hand so that limited me in what I could do but it made me work harder at the things I could do. I ran a lot more, I worked my lower body more and did more core stuff and then went to the team camp and helped younger guys that were filling in at my position.

Do you want to play in college?

I would love to play in college whether that’s for a small division three school or if I walk on as a practice squad guy at a bigger college. I want to play college football badly.

How did your team do this season?

The only thing worse than an 0-10 season is a wasted 0-10 season and nobody wasted it, everyone learned how to persevere through a tough time and how to support their brothers when they are going through tough injuries.

How did your injury impact you?

My injury pretty much knocked out my whole season. I broke my ankle in the practice before blue silver and had to support from the sideline, but I worked very hard to try and get back for one game and I did. I came back 3 weeks earlier than expected and got to play against my best friend at  Liberty, but it made it that much sweeter that is was my only game.

What is your favorite team to watch?

My favorite team is the Michigan wolverines, but my favorite team to watch is Baylor, they play a fun brand of football to watch and enjoyed watching them since RG III was a freshman and I watched a game and said this dude is going to be legit.

Do you listen to music when you work out?

Of course I work out to music, but what I listen to depends on what I’m in the mood for. I have everything from hard rock to the Beastie boys to country music to classic rock to even a little dub step. I like all kinds of music, so it really depends on what kind of mood I’m in.

Who is your role model?

I have lots of role models many are family or close friends, but one is not Jordan Kovacs was a safety for the University of Michigan who walked on as a freshman and led the team in tackles and then got a scholarship his sophomore year and led the team in tackles for two more years and was then signed by the Dolphins in 2013.

What was your favorite game of the season?

My favorite game was my only game because I got to play again in my final high school games that I thought I had already played a year earlier but I got another chance and had a blast playing.