The Last Semester

BOOM, that was reality setting in on the fact that there is one semester left of your high school career. One semester. The crazy roller coaster ride that has been your life for the past four years is about to end, key word ABOUT. We’re not done yet, we still have to get through more classes, more school dances, and more sporting events. Let me rephrase that, we get to go to more classes, more school dances, and more sporting events. Although right now high school may seem like a drag we have to make the best of it because one day we’re going to look back and wonder where all the time went. Embrace all the downs and ups that the halls of Air Academy throw your way before you step into the real world.

Walk into second semester with what little motivation you have left and a good attitude. Be happy that you’re done filling out college applications and all you have to worry about now is picking one. Don’t skip too many classes because pretty soon you won’t get to see your favorite teacher’s face everyday. Being a current senior myself, I can attest to the fact that Senioritis is in fact a real disease, a disease so powerful that is drains all motivation and school related things from your body. Overpower this nasty Senioritis bug and ace your least favorite subject or shock your teachers by showing up on time or even showing up to class at all.

Make sure you’re immersing yourself into sporting events and school dances, as cliche as that sounds. Show some school spirit and cheer on your peers and friends at basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and tennis games. Stand in the front row that you’ve been waiting for for three years, heckle the other team, and go bananas when we score. Dance so hard at school dances with your friends that the next day your arms hurt from fist pumping so hard. Who cares if you don’t have a date to a dance? Go anyways because if you don’t, you’ll regret it. Break out of your comfort zone. If you don’t normally go to school events, take advantage of this last semester and live it up while you can.

This last semester can also be very emotional because not only are you moving away from your family, but you wont be seeing your friends’ faces everyday like you have been. Don’t be afraid to tell your friends how much they mean to you; they’ve been a part of helping you grow into the person you are today. Reach out to old pals who you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up with them. Make new friends with a peer who you’ve never talked to before because we’re all Kadets and we’re all trying to make it through this last semester to get to summer, so why not get through it together? In the wise words of Natalie Sannes, “Sko Dets 5ever!” No matter how much you love high school or how much you hate it, there is one semester left before we leave. It can be miserable or it can be stellar, but it’s what you make it.

Im not saying you have to go to every event and cure your Senioritis because lets face it, that’s impossible. I’m merely suggesting that you should look at these last few months with an open mind and positivity. Once a Kadet always a Kadet, and even though soon we will all be wearing new school colors and cheering on a different mascot, blue and silver will always run through our blood. So soak up this last bit of high school because soon we will be soaking up the sun and heading off to college.