The Overlook: New and Improved

Air Academy students performing at The Overlook. Photo via The Overlook Facebook page

In recent months, Coffee and Tea Zone in the Rockrimmon area has changed management and became The Overlook, a popular Kadet hangout. Coffee and Tea Zone was well liked for its delicious drinks with boba, and used to be popular for their hookah services. This particular store on Delmonico converted into a more conservative coffee shop several years ago when they stopped serving hookah, and has now changed management completely, hoping to bring in more young people, specifically targeting the high school and college crowds.

On February 12th of 2015 a video was posted on The Overlook’s Facebook page of Air Academy High School student Alicia Danielle Cordova throwing a drink from Starbucks in the trash as she says “I’m never going to Starbucks again because I’m going to the Overlook.” The Overlook is continuing to gain popularity in the Colorado Springs area, especially among high schools students. The store still has similar drinks and food, but has added a stage used for open mic nights, musical performances, and comedy shows. The Overlook makes announcements on their Facebook page to let customers know which days they are doing open mic nights, and also has an event calendar. The open mic nights are a big part of what draws so many Air Academy students. Many students are part of bands, or just enjoy the opportunity to perform in a public setting.

Chloe Reindl, Air Academy High School senior, is a popular customer at the Overlook. She goes in part to perform herself but also to support her friends, fellow Air Academy students Aaron Donison and Joey Crochet (amongst others), who are in a band. When asked about The Overlook, Chloe said, “I like it because of its jazzy and relaxed atmosphere. I like how they still serve coffee and tea, and I think it has a lot of potential.” Kahaili Michell Cortez, also a senior from AAHS, is another regular customer at the Overlook. In April she posted a picture of her and a fellow student at The Overlook on open mic night, saying “Come to the Overlook tonight guys!” and earlier, “Can’t wait to go to the Overlook tomorrow!! COME CHECK IT OUT GUYS!”

The Overlook is a new and improved version of an old favorite, and is constantly growing in its support from the Colorado Springs community. The Overlook recently posted, “Our Friday night music has been really fun. We have had amazing local talent come out to play every Friday night since we have opened.” The Overlook is a very family oriented facility, and welcomes guests of all ages. You don’t have to be experienced or famous to get up on stage and perform. “Everyone is a star at The Overlook” says the Facebook page. So if you haven’t been to The Overlook, stop by on any night of the week to listen to local talent and support the community. It might just become your new favorite place.

Visit https://www.facebook.com/TheOverlookCOS?fref=ts for more information on events going on this month and in the upcoming summer months.