The State of Air Academy

Journalists, Managing Editor, my fellow Air Academy students, today, someone at our school may have complimented another student. Someone else posted a rudely hilarious tweet about their friend or classmate. Someone else studied for a ridiculously challenging test and probably aced it, while ruining the curve. Another student neglected to study and marathoned Pawn Stars or Orange is the New Black. The latter student, needless to say, did much worse than the former.

What do you get when you mix Air Academy High School’s student driving population with pubescent hormones? You get the rage that is the student parking lot traffic jam! I feel safe knowing that people only ‘look’ like they’re going to hit the car in front of them.

A student held the door open for someone in need of assistance. No one helped an old lady cross the street. Another kid picked up their trash from lunch. Unfortunately, everyone else at their table left three pieces of trash for every piece one good samaritan picked up. Seriously guys? Really? Really? How hard is it to throw your trash away in the trash can, where trash belongs, that’s a whopping 10 feet from where you were eating? If you’re already proficient at throwing away trash, you could try the advanced skill of recycling!

Trying to get to school on time? Good luck! It would probably be the easiest to just sleep at school. Waking up at 6:00 A.M. every morning to get in a line that equates to the seventh layer of hell usually doesn’t seem worth my education. Even prospective teachers consider not joining the Air Academy Staff because of the prominence of this situation.

Raise your hand if you’ve been personally victimized by interventions! I know a handful of kids who have received detentions for not going to interventions. Sadly, their teachers hadn’t informed them that they needed to go. This system needs to be reevaluated because teachers shouldn’t be held responsible for a student who is slacking off in another subject. Kids need to want to learn and if they’re missing that drive in their life, they shouldn’t resent the school system, they should learn from it.

Did you know Air Academy has a dress code? Looking at some of our school’s population during the warmer months, it’s hard to tell. No one wants to see your tukhus hanging out of your shorts. At least try to pick clothes that cover your body and aren’t too provocative. I like having the right to choose my own outfits, but sometimes I think other people should have their grandparents pick clothes out for them. Are their parents proud or just ignorant?

Although slightly out dated, the Urban Dictionary definition is not too far from the truth. I’d like to edit it to say this:

Air Academy High School – Located on the Air Force base in Colorado Springs, Colorado,  Air Academy is a public school full of spoiled brats, hopeless stoners, and few between. It’s famous for its bird-poop-white-walls, suspension given for bringing squirt guns to school and creating burn books (made famous by “Mean Girls”), being one of the poorest schools in the state yet ranking in the 90th percentile in testing scores, and being synonymous with purgatory. The campus could pass as a minimum security prison based on the fact you must present ID to heavily armed MPs (with hopefully beautiful eyes) simply to get to school every day, not to mention there are 2 cameras for every one hallway, and having an uncanny appearance similar to that of a prison. There hasn’t been a decent senior prank since 2007. The only place filthier than the bathrooms are the tables students leave in the cafeteria. The only place filthier than the cafeteria tables is the rest of the school. The mascot is a fictional bird called a “Kadet” that brandishes the pacifistic tool of a bat with a nail in it. The Kadet is a miserable spin-off of the Cadets that attend the service academy on the same base.