The Jetstream Journal

Filed under Student Life

Perks of the USAFA Base

Back to Article
Back to Article

Perks of the USAFA Base

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Photo of Hartley Conforti, Amber Musselman, and Nicole Anderson at the base planes.

 

At almost every sporting event we get asked, “So you’re all in the military right? You all live on the base?” Well, no. Approximately 10% of our student body is military, leaving 90% of us very confused why our public school is on the United States Air Force Academy base. Originally, when the school started, it wasn’t a big deal for a few kids in public school to come on base, but now our neighborhoods have become so concentrated and populated that it seems like a hassle to have so many non-military people enter the base. Many rumors of moving our school have circled around, but none are for sure. As Air Academy students, we see all the perks and setbacks of being on base.

1. CON: GATE TRAFFIC
There’s a very specific time slot in between the worker traffic and the student traffic, and if you get caught in either of those, you’re probably going to be late. Also, most high schools in Colorado Springs are pretty close to their student’s homes, but the commute from Rockrimmon and Peregrine to the base is around 15 minutes without traffic. Hartley Conforti, an Air Academy Sophomore, says the traffic “is inconvenient because of the gate and the speed limit being so low, making it so you have to build extra time in your schedule to have to get to school.”

2. PRO: Gate traffic
We have to admit, it’s a pretty good excuse for being late to first period.

3. CON: Old building
Our school is the oldest in District 20, and it can sometimes show. Our walls are a little old and our water fountain pressure is nonexistent. We might not have the greatest bleachers/field or the greatest A and B building, but (pro) we have a long history of school spirit, pride, and traditions from the school-wide level down to the JV team level. Whether it’s “ah rumba” or girls swim team “whoop-butt” juice, our traditions are way older than any other schools.

4. PRO: Shared Facilities
We’re so lucky to get to share some of the facilities with the base (Thanks USAFA!). Our Lacrosse teams often practice at the local housing field by the child development center and our hockey team used the Ice Rink. Both girls and boys get to use the amazing Eisenhower Golf Course. And the marching band gets to practice on the USAFA Falcon Football Stadium each year before state.

Going to high school on the Air Force base can seem weird at times, but there are pros and cons to everything. Air Academy Sophomore Nicole Anderson says, “Going to school on base is different because instead of just pulling up to school every morning you have to get ID’d by gate guards, but overall it’s pretty cool to get to say I go to school on base.” Another sophomore at AAHS says, “We pledge every morning and again at 4:45PM over the base-wide speakers. Sometimes it weird to hear the drill alarms, but we’re used to it.” It’s fun and interesting to see how a military base operates and how the USAFA works, inspiring some of us to stay here for college.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Perks of the USAFA Base”

  1. Reagan Brenenstuhl on May 2nd, 2017 11:49 am

    I loved this story because it was so easy to relate to!

  2. Jessica Cox on May 2nd, 2017 11:58 am

    I can’t believe people complain about base traffic! I love having an extra 45 minutes built into my schedule if there’s ice on the bridge….

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




*

Navigate Left
  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Feature

    Surviving at Sixteen: Students in the Workforce

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Lifestyle

    Cheap Adventures in Colorado Springs

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Student Life

    Here’s Why it’s Important for Teens to Learn how to Cook

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Student Life

    Backpacks: A Peek Into the Lives of Students

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Lifestyle

    Indie: A Modern Style and Genre

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Lifestyle

    Kicks Of The Month

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Student Life

    Feeling Down? Here are Simple Methods to Improve Your Quality of Life

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Student Life

    Bullet Journals: The New Healthy Lifestyle Craze

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Feature

    A School Year to Remember

  • Perks of the USAFA Base

    Feature

    50 Things to Do This Summer

Navigate Right
The student news site of Air Academy High School
Perks of the USAFA Base