Friendly Seniors

Seniors at prom. photo via Katie Rainsberger

The movies always portray seniors as old, scary students who would never even think of talking to an underclassman. However, that stereotype is far from the truth. My freshman and sophomore year would’ve been quite different if it wasn’t for the class of 2016.  As the high school chapter is nearing an end for the seniors, I took the time to reflect on all the wonderful experiences I had with the seniors in journalism, student council, French class, and sports.

This year’s Journalism class is mostly comprised of seniors, with the exception of myself and two other sophomore girls. I was nervous at first, but it was a great experience. The senior guys always did something to make the class amusing. Whether it was Ryan arguing with Ms. Steinke, Brady drawing weird flowcharts about conspiracies (all were obviously true, knowing Brady), Nate throwing markers at the whiteboard, Jake W. shoving pancakes in his mouth, or Jake T. repeatedly asking me for chapstick or if I liked his mustache, there was never a dull moment. However, they got around to writing articles as well, believe it or not. Ryan and Brady’s humor columns are hilarious! The senior girls also made this class one of a kind. Kayla and Katie never hesitated to bring me smoothies after class and could always go to Emily O. for help with my article.I aspire to write as creatively and thoughtfully as Tali did this year. Jenny Beth was a wonderful editor, and has set a great example for next year’s journalism class. The Journalism team is one of a kind and I’m thankful for the time I spent with them.

A fair portion of student council members are seniors as well. These seniors are the leaders of the school. They can get a crowd on their feet, organize an event, and inspire others with their dedication.  Kimberly P. became a trustworthy friend because of student council. I always went to the gas station to get milkshakes and snacks with her. Never once did she not answer my math questions during class. Next year’s class will greatly miss the artistic talents Tali Valentine, Ali L., and Lauren Lunt. All of the beautiful posters hanging around the school can be accredited to these three senior girls. They put a lot of effort into everything they did. Lexi Vest was the secretary of dance and created the the most memorable dances. The guys of Student Council could pump up anyone. Class always started with the senior boys banging on their desks and clapping. The student body president, Ryan Henley, made sure to keep everyone on task. Usually the seniors boys stuck together, but Henri Grimm always made a point to tease me or give me an awkward shoulder massage every class. Mark Beatty, Henri, and Kyle Pierri. made me laugh every time they over enunciated my name. I’d walk into the room and hear, “Lillllllllllllllliannnnaaa”. The seniors in Student Council created memories for not only me, but for the school. I’m grateful they made Student Council a fun experience and I know they will on go on to do great things.

When I came in as a freshman, I barely knew anyone. I joined cross country and instantly became friends with now seniors Kayla and Katie. They took me under their wing and taught me a lot. They  gave me countless rides, comforted me when I was sad, and gave me advice. I traveled to Arizona, New Mexico, and Idaho with them.We have become more than teammates. This year, I have gotten closer to them and I’m sad to see them leave. The two seniors affected all of the underclassmen in cross country as well. Organizing pasta parties and Sunday morning runs. They welcomed me into their prom group and at their lunch table. They have given me clothes and let me borrow homecoming dresses. They have done so much for me, and I am forever grateful.  When I become a senior, I hope to follow in their footsteps. I can’t wait to see them race in college!

Without the class of 2016, I would have been lost. They made these past two years unforgettable. My advice to the future seniors is to set an example for the underclassmen. Help out the freshmen and inspire them. Thank you class of 2016 and I hope the best for all of you.