18 Things to do Before Graduation

Photo+via+flickr.com+via+the++Creative+Commons+License.+

John Walker

Photo via flickr.com via the Creative Commons License.

For the class of 2016, this last month of the school year means saying goodbye to the normalcy of high school and making the most of the remaining moments of the year. Since prom is already out the rear view window and the closing commencements are well underway, we looked into some ideas on letting this time be worthwhile. Read on for advice from past Air Academy grads as well as other tips for living fully in the remainder of your high school experience.

1. Plan a road trip with your best friends.

Whether it be flying to a new state or just driving up to the mountains for a day, it’s worth it to start saving and planning now to create some sweet final memories with your best friends to take with you to college.

2. Write letters to the people who have helped you get to where you are today.

“It is important to thank your teachers. I don’t mean write a generic “thank you note” for them writing your letters of recommendation. You need to realize the amount of time and effort that they have invested to not only your education, but to the rest of your life. Many of the teachers at Air Academy care more about your well being than your friends probably do. You spend more time a week with your teachers than you do with your parents. For the past four years, your teachers have been there when you have problems with your friends and you need to hide out for a couple of lunch periods. They dedicate their extra time to make sure you’re succeeding and are happy, whether it is video game tournaments or Panera study groups. The teachers you have in high school are SO important to the process of students growing up, and they are always under appreciated.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

3. Say yes to new things.

“More seniors need to go out and try new stuff! For many, it is probably the last time you are truly free from being fully responsible and everyone should use that as an opportunity to try something new! Make a bucket list and try to do something new and exciting every day.” –Adam Brown, Class of 2015

4. Invest in the best.
“After this year, you won’t see your friends nearly as much. You will realize that you were only friends with people because you saw them 5 days a week. Realize the people that you want to keep in your life, the people that make you laugh, feel good, and constantly help you grow. These are the people that you should invest the rest of your senior year in. Don’t waste your time with the people who drag you down and are toxic.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

5. Clean out your social media.

You might not want to take all of the random friends, follows, and blurry pictures living in the deep recesses of your social media accounts along with you to college if you’re looking forward to a fresh new start.

6. Take lots of new pictures, and even more mental ones.

Compile your memories. That old concert ticket stub could use a home alongside old homecoming photos. This is what your children will be looking through someday – you’ll want those memories saved soon enough!

7. Understand that everyone copes with closing chapters differently.

Some people are anxious to get out, while others are scared to let go of the normalcy of high school. Both are valuable!

8. If you haven’t already, decide that it doesn’t matter what people think of you.

It’s necessary and liberating to realize that caring what other people think of you is different than caring about other people.
“In college, no one asks you about if you had the best looking date to prom or if you were popular. In college, people don’t care about those things at all, so don’t worry about what people think of you and just be human!” – Crystal Heinrich, Class of 2014

9. Wear that one outfit in your closet that you never thought you could pull off.

Because at this point, why not?!

10. Make a bonfire with your old assignments.

You may never have it this easy again, but that’s ok.

“Appreciate how easy high school is. One class in college is more difficult than every single class I had senior year, combined. Even if you don’t go to college, nothing in life will EVER be as simple as things are in high school, so appreciate it.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

11. Make having fun a priority.

“Don’t be afraid to put fun/social time before homework because I’ll always remember the time I spent with my friends. Be efficient when doing homework so you can increase the amount of time available to have fun.” – Nick Sammons, Class of 2015

“Never give up good times with your friends. No matter how tired, lazy or busy you are, push yourself to go to the movies, mini golf, iceskating, or camping. You aren’t going to remember that time when you stayed home and finished a whole season of Grey’s Anatomy, you’re going to remember the people who made high school memorable.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

12. If you don’t know already, figure out how to do dishes, laundry, etc… that might come in handy next year.

Or just throw in all the colors together on the cold setting… probably?

13. Sit with a new group of people one day at lunch.

Fresh perspectives make the world go ‘round.

14. Apologize to someone you burned bridges with at some point in high school.

Making up for lost time is always a good idea.

“There’s no reason to hold grudges or leave anything unsaid when closing one chapter and starting a new one.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

15. Think about the people who have meant something to you.

Whether it was a teacher who was understanding or one who pushed you to be greater, there’s so much value to appreciating their hard work.

“Take a few minutes and intentionally look them in the eyes and tell them how much you appreciate their hard work. Then do the same for your friends– go out of your way to deeply thank those who have stuck by you, encouraged you, told you what you needed to hear or laughed with you. ” –Crystal Heinrich, Class of 2014

16. Eat dinner with your family.

Next year, they may become the only people you wish you could sit down to a meal with if only just to ask how your day at school turned out.

17. Just go with it.

Even though getting through these days and making big decisions is difficult, they’re still precious days of your life.

“Life becomes a series of situations of things that you are not okay with, and learning to be okay with them. You can already see it while being a Senior. When I didn’t get into my first choice of college, I was heartbroken. So I went to my safety school and was kind of bummed out and constantly thinking, “I don’t belong here.” But the moment I realized that this is where I am, and this is where I will be spending the next four years, I learned to love it. I am not settling for my life, I am learning from it every day. Everyday situations are tossed at me and I have learned to go with it and grow from it.” – Jessica Hendricks, Class of 2015

18. Do a High School Musical Jump when you’re finally done.

WE MADE IT. Finishing high school represents continuing into brighter and better endeavors – now go enjoy this time!