HGTV- Air Academy Edition

Photo used with permission from Helen Landwehr.

Air Academy harbors many talented and hardworking students. The achievements collectively as a school have impacted our community drastically.  One student perfectly exemplifies this dedicated Kadet spirit. Helen Landwehr, a senior, decided to make a positive change to our school, while making many students and teachers happy.

The Girl Scout Gold Award represents the highest achievement in Girl Scouting. One can only obtain this status by completing a community service project. Helen, trying to obtain the prestigious award,  began looking for a noteworthy project. Last year, Helen had the opportunity to be a peer helper in the Severe Special Needs (SSN) room. Naturally, she was inspired by the students who she helped, so she decided to return the favor. Noticing that the SSN room was being unintentionally overlooked as far as furniture and supplies go, Helen chose to completely remodel it.  “I was passionate about a project that would make  a better learning environment for all the students and teachers involved in the SSN room.  I also have a severe special needs uncle, so I know how much of a difference something like this could make,” said Helen.

The newly renovated SSN room. Photo via Helen Landwher
The newly renovated SSN room. Photo used with permission from Helen Landwehr.

Her idea certainly meets the criteria for her Gold Award because remodeling the SSN room reaches beyond the Girl Scout organization and provides lasting benefits to her larger community. In May of 2015, she commenced her plans when she started talking with the SSN teacher about what needed to be done. From there, she talked and planned with an interior decorator that volunteered from Ethan Allen. She enlisted the help of friends and family, art students,  JROTC,  Ikea, Home Depot,  Staples, and many others. “I couldn’t have done this without the support I received.  A lot of money was donated by other girl scouts. I also was given used, donated supplies from Home Depot and Staples. Ikea donated a lot of furniture and Ethan Allen also contributed several items.” 

SSN room. Photo via Helen Landwher.
SSN room. Photo used with permission Helen Landwehr.

After all of the planning, gathering, constructing, and painting, the room was finally finished in February of 2016.  There were a couple of small prerequisites for the project, one of them being that the project must take a minimum of 80 hours of her time. Rising well above that number, Helen poured over 110 hours of her efforts to complete this incredible task. That amount of time paid off. The room turned out amazing. Helen made sure to pay attention to every detail.The freshly blue painted walls, the gleaming bookshelves, and the stylish Ikea furniture all came together really nicely.  

The teachers are so excited and grateful. “I know the students are enjoying the room, but I haven’t had time to talk with students specifically yet,” commented Helen. Helen didn’t simply decorate a classroom. She changed the whole atmosphere. She created a safe and understanding environment for students who sometimes have a tough time finding that special place.  It started with a simple goal and it became a reality when she added tenacity, dedication, teamwork, and creativity. She made her mark on Air Academy. How will you make yours?