Kode of Konduct

“The team has a much fuller feeling this season, and it seems as though this will lead to more success as the season continues.” – Troyer Morse, Football Player

To the many new Kadets, or Kadets who aren’t necessarily “involved” in sports events, you need to read this article. At sporting events, there is a certain code of conduct that, when not followed, is frowned upon mightily by the rest of the student body. This code of conduct is to treat every game or event you attend like it is your last. I emphasize this even more to seniors, this is your last shot to cheer your high school friends and teams on to victory. When you graduate high school, you don’t want to look back with haunting regret saying, “I wish I went to more games and cheered harder” because you don’t get second chances. As long as you graduate, that is. I am going to give you the rundown of everything needed to know at a Kadet sporting event.

First off, if you are in the student section, stand up. The student section does not sit down at a game except for breaks in the action, like halftime, quarters, or the end of a period in Hockey. If you do not want to stand up for the entire game, however, there is an easy alternative to make! Go somewhere else. If you don’t want to go 100% all the time, sit somewhere else because a student section is only as strong as its weakest link.

Second, you need to actively cheer at the game. While this doesn’t necessarily mean heckling the opposing team, cheer on our team and be involved in the group cheers like Arumba, The Banana Song, Kadet Krawl, and the new Give em’ the Beak chant. Participating in these cheers not only increases the decibel level of the cheer, but pumps up the team more and motivates them to bring home a win for our school! Now, when I say don’t heckle the opposing team, I mean do not actively harass another member. Administration will shut you down. However, one anonymous senior states that he “likes to push the boundaries to show off [his] rebellious nature to administration.” Yelling to try and get in opponents heads is perfectly acceptable as long as it’s appropriate, such as yelling during a player’s free throw, chanting “you can’t do that” after fouls, as well as the always classic “that’s a murder” at a not-so-accurate call made by a referee.

Going along with the point made above, ACTIVELY CHEER. When people just sit there on their phones during the game, senior Tony Castellano had some choice words. “I feel that you shouldn’t come to the games if you’re not going to cheer or even stand during the game. A motto that Henri Grimm and I came up with was if you sit, you get hit.” He even believes the lack of cheering by some fans creates a negative effect on the game, adding, “I feel they actually do more harm sitting and not cheering because it gives off the vibe that we have given up on the team — and that can affect how the players perform.” You heard it from Kadets themselves: cheer hard at the game. If you don’t, you are harming our great competitors.

Lastly, don’t be scared. Even if you are just a freshman who has barely said two words in your high school career, do not be afraid to step up and lead a chant or yell something at the game. You will be met with nothing but support. Make some noise little freshman, you only have four years to go all out for our teams.

So, Kadets, now that you have the basic guide on what it is like to be in the Nest, do it. Go out to the games. Even if sports don’t interest you per se, the atmosphere is what makes it fun, and the more people, the better. Be sure to cheer on all your Kadet teams for the rest of the year and TO GET WILD!