Honors Societies Benefit AAHS and the Community

”All of the honors societies teach students the importance of being a good student and connecting with your community” photo from NHS website

The Honors Societies of Air Academy don’t just benefit your college resume, they benefit the community, too.  The volunteer work done by these excelling students has really made an impact on Colorado Springs.  With all of the different societies that Air Academy High School offers, the school really helps students connect with the community through their talents.  “It’s a really great place to help out in your community while still helping you set goals and look good for college,” says Chapman Cox, a senior who has been a member of National Honors Society for 2 years.

The most common honor society that is in most schools is National Honors Society (NHS).  In Air Academy, you must have a 3.5 grade point average by your junior year to apply for National Honors Society.  This society takes students who go above and beyond in their academics into the community to volunteer and make a difference.

National Honors Society participates in 3 major projects every year.  The first is the Harvest of Love Food Drive.  Members hope to assist student council in this effort throughout November.  This event takes place every fall and the students of National Honors Society and Student Council help to collect food that Air Academy High School students bring to the drive.  Then, Student Council and National Honors Society donate all of the food collected to Care and Share to be distributed to the local homeless and needy.

The second project is the Toy Drive that happens around every Christmas.  National Honors Society encourages students to bring in toys for kids whose parents can’t afford toys for them.  Along with getting students from the school to bring presents, National Honors Society members bring gifts of their own.

The final event that National Honors Society participates in is the Dream Dash 5k.  National Honors Society students organize a race/walk every year, the proceeds of which benefit the Make a Wish Foundation.  Last year, the race raised $5,918 to help a little girl go to Disneyland.

The next honor society in our school is Spanish Honors Society.  Spanish Honors Society works with the students who love to speak Spanish and excel at it to connect within the community.  The students reach out and are taught about the amazing opportunities that the Spanish language offers.  The students also go out in different community projects and encourage the people of Colorado Springs to speak more Spanish.  “The activities are really fun and it’s a really great place to connect with people who love Spanish”, says Victoria Lambos, a Sophomore member of Spanish National Honors Society.

Another honors society offered by the school is Thespian Honors Society.  This society is for the people who have participated in all of the shows Air Academy offers (plays/musicals).  The members of Thespian Honors Society get together on occasion to go and watch performances together.  Sometimes they even take trips up to Denver to see shows!  “It’s a great place to get together with other students who love theater and appreciate the performing arts,” says Anna McTigue, a member of Thespian Honors Society.

Also offered at Air Academy High School is the National Honors Art Society.  The mission of National Honors Art Society is to bring art to the community of Colorado Springs.  They get together to organize different art projects to help decorate and serve Colorado Springs.  One of their projects was designing and creating a totem pole for the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.  They even get rainbow chords at graduation.

These honors societies offer amazing volunteer opportunities for students.  The chance to excel in academic and hobbies should never be passed up.  They also are a great way to meet and serve with new people who share the same interests as you.

“The National Honors Art Society created beautiful totem poles for AAHS” photo from NAHS website